Marvin’s Story

Site created on March 25, 2018

Anyone reading this knows what type of guy Marvin Beck is! He loves to talk and tell stories and joke around!  He is not able to do any of that at this time, due to having a devastating stroke.  Here is how it all began:

 He has had mini strokes over the years, but a couple of weeks ago he woke up and not able to feel his left arm\hand.  He went to the ER in Pierre where they admitted him and ran tests. He had a small stroke showing at that time. He was scheduled for further testing in Sioux Falls last Wednesday. After those tests were completed, it was found that he had 70% blockage in his left carotid artery and 50% blockage in his right carotid artery.  He was scheduled to have stents put in last Friday to open up at least one side, and then do the other side in a month.  On Thursday last week, at lunch time he was struggling to swallow his food and started mumbling. He was taken to the ER at the Heart Hospital in Sioux Falls, where he was scheduled to be the next day for the stents procedure. It was determined that he had a pretty bad stroke, and was admitted to the hospital. This is when his speech started being affected. He could understand everything being said, just couldn't do any more than mumble to us. We could make out a few words, but that is it.  He was still scheduled for the stent procedure on Friday, and the decision was made by the family and surgeon to still do that procedure .  The stent procedure went very well, they unblocked the left artery with success.But, it left his right arm paralyzed.  A risk we were all aware of.
On Friday, as we went through the day with him, we noticed he wasn't really responding to us, as if he was still under anesthesia. By early evening, the neurologist confirmed to us that he had a devastating stroke. It's an hour by hour situation now we were told, and it may get worse we were told. Get his last wishes in order, we were also told.
As we tried to absorb all of that information, we knew some tough decisions may like ahead.
On Saturday (yesterday), more family started rolling in to see him! By early afternoon, he was pretty alert, would hold our hand, cried when some of the family!ily arrived!!we were super excited, but also cautioned to remember every day will be different, with ups and downs.  
At this time, he is not able to talk or use most of the right side of his body. He does grunt alot, and we are sure that is his way of communicating, trying to talk! Or tell a joke, or cuss us out! We are just glad to hear the grunts and hope those turn into words!
We have done video chat and showed him alot of pictures that seem to cheer him up and he even smiled a bit yesterday!
Today is Palm Sunday, and he seems a bit less responsive. They started him yesterday on speech therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy. We will see what today brings, but we know there will be many ups and downs.

As the days go by, one of us kids will post an update so you can all see how dad is doing!!! Keep the prayers coming!!  Tammy

Newest Update

Journal entry by Tammy Jensen

Marvin Beck, 81, of Pierre, died Sunday, April 22 at Sanford Medical Center in Sioux Falls. Memorial Service will be 10:00am, Saturday, April 28 at Lutheran Memorial Church in Pierre with visitation one hour prior to services. Lunch will be immediately following the services. Inurnment will be 2:00pm, Saturday, April 28 at the Selby Cemetery with a social hour at the Selby Senior Center immediately following the burial. Memorials may be directed to Boy Scout Troop 27 in Pierre or Troop 60 in Selby.


Arrangements have been placed in the care of Isburg Funeral Chapel.  Online condolences may be made at 


Marvin Jake Beck was born July 1, 1936, in Herreid, SD, to Jacob and Alvina (Aman) Beck. He grew and attended school in Herreid, graduating from Herreid High School.

Marvin married Betty Beck in 1956 in Eureka, SD. Marvin entered the armed services during the Korean Conflict before being discharged in October of 1965. Betty died in a car accident in 1971. Later in 1976, Marvin married Karen Knutsen. The couple lived in Selby, SD, until 1988 before moving to Pierre where they continued to reside until his passing. Marvin worked as a parts manager for implement dealers in Selby and Pierre. He was also active in the Boy Scouts as a leader, and was a life-time member of the American Legion. Marvin was also very active with the Lutheran Church communities in Selby and Pierre. During his retirement years, he enjoyed being with family, doing various wood working projects, and visiting with family and friends.

He will be sorely missed by his wife, Karen; his children: Kevin (Mary) Beck, Watertown, MN, Tammy (Chuck) Jensen, Omaha, NE, David (Angela) Beck, Sioux Falls, David (Jen) Yochum of Omaha, NE, and Michael Beck of Omaha; 12 grandchildren; 7 great grandchildren, his brother Donald (Judy) Beck; brother-in-law Bud Bader; sisters-in-law: Elsie Beck, Marilyn (Albert) Hoffman, Bernice (Harold) Rohrbach, Karla (Phil) Wenger and Kristi (Greg) Eck, and many nieces and nephews and friends he made along the way.

Marvin was preceded in death by his parents Jacob and Alvina; his step-mother Mildred Beck; his first wife Betty; his brother Leland Beck, and his sister, Betty Bader.  

Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.

Comments Hide comments

Can you help power Marvin's site?

A $30 donation powers a site like Marvin's for one month. Help keep CaringBridge online for them and for you.

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.

Personal Fundraiser
Support Links
Helpful Tasks