Kristi’s Story

Site created on November 10, 2020

Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

Newest Update

Journal entry by Kristi Perez

December 2, 2020

So it continues...
Starting Wednesday all day I was not feeling well, but I pushed through the day. Every time I stood up my vision was blurry for a matter of seconds, but this has been going on for a while so I was used to it. I was told to get up slow because I have low pressure. 

So, Wednesday night I went to bed and woke up around 4:30 am to go to the bathroom. When I sat up from the bed I felt nauseous and my body felt heavy. I almost woke Dallas up to help me get up. But, I didn’t want to wake him up so I got up and got to the bathroom. When I was done I stood up and everything went black. I thought I was in bed sleeping and when I heard a loud bang, it took time to realize it was me. I had passed out next to the toilet and Dallas came running in. 

He helped me sit up and I still couldn’t see. He went to get me a cold cloth and I think I tried to get up again on my own and passed out a second time. When I came back around I then started dry heaving for some amount of time. After that I felt completely better. Dallas got me orange juice and got me to the couch. I told him I was NOT going to the ER unless I did it again (bad choice). 

So of course we called my parents to let them know what happened and my mom was there in a matter of minutes. I was still feeling okay and rested and worked a little until my appointment with primary care at 11. I wasn’t able to fully stand up without wanting to pass out. 

We got to primary care and they could not find my blood pressure with their manual readers. She could only find the bottom number to be 30. My heart rate was 160. When they finally found my blood pressure it was around 80/40 or something around there. So of course I was going to the ER.

I got right in at the ER. My vitals were just as bad. They started me on fluids and did the usual blood work and ct scan. For once the CT scan didn’t show anything (wooohoo). But, my labs and kidney function were awful. They showed that I was severely dehydrated. The doctor thought I had a bad UTI but it was just dehydration. Dehydration is very serious for someone with an ileostomy. I will say Dallas encouraged me to drink Gatorade but I didn’t listen and drank water instead. I definitely learned my lesson. I ended up being admitted to CMH for the night. I got somewhere around 3000 liters of saline to get my numbers back to a normal 29 year olds. 

I do have to say I was taken very well care of at CMH. I did not have one complaint. Everyone from the primary care to the ER to Med Surg. Everyone was amazing! I was happy to see my co workers as well!! Just missed the OR team because it was Friday 😭

Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Kristi Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers Kristi's site for one month. Will you make a gift to help ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.