Sharon Laing

First post: Feb 18, 2016 Latest post: Jul 26, 2016
Welcome to our CaringBridge site. We've created it to keep friends and family updated. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most.

So, I've lived a pretty normal life.  I've never really had any problems with my physical health.  In late October, 2015, I was scratching my chest and I felt something weird.  "I must have bumped something," I thought.  Well, then after awhile I realized it was still there.  At Thanksgiving, I had Susan feel it to see if she thought it was weird.  She said that it indeed was not normal and to get it checked out.  I still thought it was nothing so decided if it was still there in a month then maybe I would go to the doctor.  Then the holidays happened.  Then there were final exams.  ...and it was still there.  Ugh.  I was so annoyed that I would have to go in and get this "cyst" drained - that's what I kept telling myself this must be.  "There's no way I could have breast cancer or something," I believed.  

Finally, I went for a mammogram on Thursday 2/4/16 (which I commented was a fun day as 2^4=16...I'm such a nerd).  Anyway, right away, they wanted to do a different type of mammogram.  Then, they wanted to do an ultrasound.  I'm like, "Well this isn't good."  Then after the ultrasound, a radiologist...who went to school with my sister...came in and told me she wanted to do a biopsy.  Right away I had a feeling of fear yet comfort.  I knew something was up, but God was telling me that He would hold me in the palm of his hand the whole way.  I would not let them do the biopsy right away because I wouldn't be able to move my arm vigorously for a few days and I had a Dearborn Symphony Concert to play!  (#stubborn)  So I went back Monday 2/8/16 for my biopsy.  They told me it would be 3-5 days for the results.  2 days later, on 2/10/16, my doctor called me and asked me to come in.  I'm not an idiot...I knew what that meant.  I asked her just to tell me over the phone.  Although she didn't want to because of the sensitive nature of her message, I insisted that she did...and she informed me that they found carcinoma...cancer.  My world stopped.

But I have to pick myself up and keep going.  It's exhausting, but it's what I have to do.

This is my journey through all of this.  The journey of a single 39 year old woman who is still searching for that soulmate (...and who is going to want to deal with all this crap?!?).  The journey of a high school math teacher of 17 years who hates missing school because it messes up her calendar and who lives her life for her "kids" at school.  The journey of a tutor who loves helping kids that struggle but also needs the extra money to help pay off school debt.  The journey of a girl who loves to play the violin and wants to continue making music.  The journey of a chic that loves to sing on stage, be the center of attention, and rock out sometimes.  The journey of a child of God who goes to Church every Sunday, sings in her choir, is called the "angel" cantor/soloist, teaches Catechism, helps out at Bible School, volunteers at the Food Outreach Program, and serves on the Discipleship Commission.  The journey of a girl with an incredible support system of the best family, friends, and acquaintances anyone could wish for.  Here's hoping I can continue to be blessed with the best possible outcome from all this...

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Sharon’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register