Kim and I have created this site to help us keep you informed and updated on my condition. We thank all of you who have inquired into how you can pray for and encourage us.
On Aug 29 I went in for a routine colonoscopy. The doctor found a cancerous blockage in the transverse colon. He also removed several polyps and sent them to pathology. One of the polyps came back positive for cancer. Unfortunately, the cancerous polyp was a little lower in the colon than the large blockage. On Aug 31, I went in for a CT Scan to determine the extent of the cancer. We were told that the CT Scan and reading of the results were put in as "stat" requests and we were told we should get the findings later that day or early the next morning. We waited anxiously until the next afternoon before the doctor called with the results. The CT Scan showed that the cancer seemed to be contained in the colon and there were no observable tumors in my lungs, liver, kidneys, etc. This was a huge answer to prayer. A second colonoscopy was ordered for Sept 8. The doctor went back in to remove the remaining portion of the cancerous polyp by removing the stem and also placed markings in the colon for the surgeon to know where the cancerous polyps were located. The doctor sent the removed polyp stem to pathology. The next day the pathology report found no cancer in the stem. This was another huge answer to prayer. Because this polyp was lower down in the colon it would have required removal of over half of my colon. As it stands, it looks like about a third of the colon will have to be removed. The Doctor said that they will remove the affected colon and sew the remaining colon together. He indicated that I should not see a major difference in quality of life. The surgery only takes a couple of hours but will require a 5-6 day hospital stay and then a 1-2 week home rest. The colon and attached lymph nodes that are removed will be sent to the pathologist for testing. If the lymph nodes test negative for cancer then we will be able to move forward without further treatment. If the lymph nodes test positive then I will have to endure a 4-6 month chemo regimen. Tomorrow morning, Sept 12, we will be notified if I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, Sept 13 or Friday, Sept 16. We are praying for a Tuesday surgery.
Needless to say, It has been a roller coaster ride for me, Kim and the kids. I am confident that the Lord will see us through this. We can use your prayers for strength, that the Doctors make good decision, and that the cancer is isolated to the colon and has not gotten into any of the lymph nodes. I know that all things work for the Glory of God and I am in His hands, which is exactly where I want to be. We have been overwhelmingly loved on by our church family and friends and praying that whatever is in store, God would be glorified.