Roy Mueller

First post: Jun 9, 2019 Latest post: Aug 3, 2019
Roy Mueller is a proud father of three boys and husband to a loving wife. He is a hard-working, self-made entrepreneur who found success after overcoming many obstacles in his life. One of those successes is the family he helped raise, which he holds most dear to him. He is an avid outdoors-man who loves fishing with his boys and spending his most quality of time with his wonderful wife Jennifer. He is also a health fitness fanatic and enjoys going to the gym on a daily basis. While being quite the fit and healthy fifty-three year old, he has some underlying problems for someone as young as he is.

In 2005, Roy underwent Open-Heart Surgery to address an issue with his Mitral Valve not functioning correctly, causing a blood clot to form and resulting in losing part of one of his kidneys. The cause of this may have been from a Rheumatic fever he had as a child that was not treated appropriately, which of course may have weakened his heart as a result. Doctors repaired the valve successfully and after many months, he recovered from that traumatic experience.  Now 14 years later, he is having issues once more. 

On May 17th, 2019, Roy was suffering from chest pains and was struggling with breathing. His wife Jennifer took him into the local clinic to address a month-long case of Pneumonia that he was trying to recover from. They discovered a huge spike in the heart-rate and was  rushed to Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids via ambulance moments later and was immediately seen by a team of doctors and nurses, trying to lower his dangerously high heart rate. After many attempts with various methods, they finally decided to essentially "restart" his heart with a defibrillator-like device. His immediate family was just outside the room when they heard the device charge up and then proceed to shock his heart. Knowing my father was in that room when I heard that thing go off was something I will never forget, no matter how hard I try. 

The attempt worked and they managed to make him stable enough for his family to see him and comfort each other. Roy continued to stay at the hospital while he was being closely monitored and more tests were being ran on a daily basis. One of them required minor surgery, inserting a small camera device through a vein in his arm and feeding it through to his heart, allowing doctors to actually view his heart without having to perform major surgery. After a few days, they concluded that he had three different things affecting his heart that needed to be addressed along with the treatment methods.

The first was a nerve in his heart that was sending too many wrong signals. This was causing his heart rate to be inconsistent and rapid. An Ablation of this nerve, essentially killing it, would fix this issue. The second issue was a condition known as Ventricular Tachycardia. This would cause his heart to spike to dangerously high heart rates, which could cause him to pass out and potentially suffer cardiac arrest, killing him as a result. This happened a few times while he was in the hospital. Of which a rarity, the first one happened while he was talking to a doctor. A quick diagnosis was made and after many tests, it was concluded that he had this condition. The solution to this would be to have a pacemaker-like device called an ICD (Inplantable Cardioverter Defibrilator) put in him. Whenever he would experience a Tachycardia episode, it will shock his heart and bring it back to normal. Both procedures have already been successfully done since he was in the hospital.

Now those were the easiest of the three problems with his heart. The last one, being the most difficult, would require another Open-Heart Surgery within the year to replace his Mitral Valve with a mechanical one. This was originally scheduled for later this year, but after a recent follow up with a surgeon, we soon discovered that he needs to have the procedure done now.

On Monday, June 10th 2019, Roy is undergoing another Open-Heart Surgery in an attempt to finally correct the issues he has been suffering from. While being somewhat common for Mitral Valve repair patients, it is still a very serious operation. And even if all goes well, he will need to be on bed rest and recover for months until he is able to function properly again. This is severely affecting the livelihood of his family, as he is not able to work as a result of his long recovery time. This sudden change of events is also having a negative financial impact due to the current medical bills that are incurring. 

We ask that you keep Roy and his family in your thoughts and prayers as we go through these tough times. Please also consider making a mindful donation to help our family through a GoFundMe page that is linked to this site under the "Ways to help" tab. Thank you and god bless you for taking your time to read this. 

Roy's operation is taking place on Monday June 10th at the University of Minnesota Fairview Southdale Hospital. 6405 France Ave. S, Edina, MN 55435

Constant updates will be posted here in the meantime.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Roy’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register