CaringBridge Board Member John Wernz is honoring supporters like you by doubling all donations to CaringBridge, up to $10,000. Make a donation in the next 1 day, 4 hours, 24 minutes and 31 seconds
to be counted.
Jan 2, 2017 Latest post:
Dec 20, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting. On November 26, 2016 dad went to the walkin clinic for stomach pain. He was told to go the emergency room so he headed to OLOL. Complaints were consistent with appendicitis so a cat scan was done and he was told there were spots on his liver and lower lobe of lungs...most of pain was on left side. Immediately dad and mom found themselves talking to an oncologist. She suggested a liver biopsy and pet scan asap. However the insurance company had other plans. So while we are thinking we are beginning tests immediately the insurance company said nope. Can't approve a biopsy without an office visit. So Tuesday we go for office visit so we can be told this. We set an appointment for two weeks later to go over the as yet unscheduled biopsy and pet scan. Biopsy is setup for the next week, tuesday. Uncomfortable but done. A pet scan waa scheduled for later. The day before the pet scan dad receives a call that insurance will not approve pet scan until biopsy results are obtained. Seriously! So dad pays for the pet scan out of pocket to get things moving. Done. Visit with doctor. Biopsy inconclusive, no cancer cells found. Need to repeat! Pet scan shows a tumor in the esophagus, also liver. Some lighting up around lower lobe of lung and slight lighting in lymph nodes across chest. Second biopsy...very painful. Had to go very deep into liver to get sample. Pain uncontrollable. Heart rate irratic. Oxygen low. Admitted to OLOL. Several tests completed. Dr had an endoscopy done to verify liver and esophagus had same cells and it's one cancer he is fighting, not two. Concerns of melanoma due to his history. In the meantime dad's referral to MD Anderson had been accepted and appointment made with intern. However because he was inpatient and waiting on biopsy results they closed referral until those things were settled. Finally released from hospital on Monday, December 19 and began the race of getting paperwork together. Lots of miscommunication and confusion and frustration...and here we are...two weeks later. Dad has lost lots of weight. Eating is difficult and uncomfortable. Pain is increasing and seems to be affecting more than just abdominal area...legs hurting today, can't get comfortable and can't get restful sleep. It's been a long month and we are desparate for answers...positive reassurance would be great. We are already tired and anxiety ridden. Prayers for strength, courage and peace as we head into the storm. Love to you all.