Riley Honl

First post: Sep 27, 2020 Latest post: Oct 21, 2020
We were overjoyed when we learned in July we were expecting a 3rd baby. Our little tie breaker baby was on the way!  We decided not to immediately share our news but this became difficult as Gabe really wanted to tell his Grandmas about "the baby growing in Mommy's tummy".  After weeks of bribing Gabe with Paw Patrol toys NOT to tell his grandmas, We arranged family gatherings where Gabe was able to proudly announce the baby.   We had the first ultrasound on August 18. Our little Muchkin had a heartbeat of 186. Everything looked good for 7 weeks along! We learned the due date was April 5, 2021.  The next appointment was on September 15. The clinic called as I was driving to the clinic to let me know that I would be having an ultrasound before my appointment. Not alarmed, I called Kevin to let him know to be ready for a video call and continued to the clinic.   During the appointment with the doctor she said she was concerned about the nuchal translucency. (Nuchal translucency is a collection of fluid under the skin behind the fetal neck. Best seen between 11 -14 weeks) Our baby was measuring 6-7mm. A normal baby will be 3mm or less.  We agreed to a screening test that would help determine if our baby had chromosomal abnormalities.   Although this is just a screening test and is not a 100% conclusive diagnosis my OB refered us to a fetal specialist. September 21 at 10:20am I received the long awaited phone call from my OB. Unfortunately, it wasn't the good news we were hoping for.  Our baby was suspected to have Trisomy 18. This means our baby has 3 chromosome in the 18th set instead of just 2.  This test also revealed the sex of the baby. Our tie breaker was a GIRL! We immediately named her Riley Suzanne. Riley means "courageous" which is quite fitting.  The specialist appointment was September 22. We met with a genetic counselor who answered our questions and said our chances of this, given my age was 1 in 338. Followed by another ultrasound where we learned the nuchal translucency has increased to almost 10mm.  The fetal doctor's report was grim - She told us we  have a significantly higher risk of Riley being stillborn in the 2nd or 3rd trimester.  If Riley makes it to live birth, she may live only hours or a few weeks.  She told us what to expect during this pregnancy and some of the decisions we would be facing if stillborn or live birth.  Needless to say, Riley and Mom will be well monitored. We will write a journal entry after each appointment.  Thank you for the supporting us through this uncharted adventure and believing in report of the Lord for Riley!