Would you like to participate in a research study about gratitude? Learn More
Peter B. Reilly
11/28/2016 Latest post:
On November 18th, Peter Reilly underwent open heart surgery at the Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Florida to replace his mitral and aortic valves as well as have a double bypass done. After completing both valve replacements successfully, the surgeon decided that a third valve, the tricuspid, would need to be additionally repaired (not replaced). Upon completing this, the doctors determined Peter’s heart wasn’t strong enough to perform the bypass procedure and elected to insert stints as needed at a later date.
Due to the swelling and weakened condition of his heart, the surgeon decided to leave Peter’s chest open for a few days as to not put pressure on the heart. Over the next few days, his heart and other vitals strengthened. Blood pressure meds that were increasing his BP were one by one eliminated and Peter was getting much needed rest. On Sunday the 20th, they closed him up. A few hours later, they noticed blood clots draining from his chest cavity and opened him up again to remedy this. He was promptly closed again and has been since.
Peter had several “good” days. The pump which was assisting his heart was removed. Paralysis meds were discontinued and his sedation meds were decreased. During certain breaks from sedation, he was moving his head and hands and seemed to be able to follow your voice. Even open his eyes. We though he even squeezed a hand upon request, but we aren’t sure of it. Most importantly, his vital signs remained stable. For the most part up until now, Monday 11/28, he has remained unresponsive and shown little sign of being cognitive.
Yesterday, it was determined there was inflammation in his pancreas, gallbladder and kidneys. We are awaiting further tests to determine what actions might need to be taken to remedy these issues. Peter is also having his breathing tube removed today in favor of a tracheotomy. Sounds scary but we’re told patients tend to do better with it than a breathing tube. He wasn’t able to get off the breathing tube in a timely manner and they don’t want to leave the tube in longer than 10 days.
So that’s the general nuts and bolts of the procedures thus far. The family is doing well. Barbara has been very strong and all of her kids have been in to offer their support and will continue to do so. We continue to pray that the doctors and nurses, who have been absolutely amazing, can find a way to awaken Peter in the coming days. We appreciate all your support and concern. Please continue to send your prayers and good vibes his way. We’ll continue to add updates daily or bi-daily to this site in the coming days. Please feel free to send invitations to others who might want to follow or monitor Peter’s progress. Anyone who logs into this site will have those permissions.
Kelly is with our Mom and Dad now and will probably have the next update. We hope to have positive news for you all soon!!