Sep 23, 2017 Latest post:
Mar 27, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
As a result of my semiannual regular blood workups, an abnormal level in my liver enzymes was indicated in my last test. After multiple procedures including, an ultrasound and CAT scan, it was determined I have a 6cm mass on my pancreas. A needle biopsy was done, but the results were inconclusive. Since then, further tests on the biopsy and an additional blood test were done. According to my doctors, the results are leaning towards cancer but if it is, it has not spread and it is operable. It was recommended that I go to either El Paso or Albuquerque and have a more radical biopsy done. Doug and I discussed this and decided that even if we went to either of the two suggested cities, whatever the results were, we would have to go someplace for treatment. With this in mind and the uncertainty of the results we were getting locally, we decided to cut out the middle man and go to the experts. We contacted MD Anderson in Houston and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. Unfortunately neither of these fine facilities was going to accept our insurance. UGH. Within a few hours of talking to Mayo in Phoenix we received a call from them saying at times they take exceptions to their insurance policies and for us to have our medical records faxed to them and they would have a team review them for consideration. The very next day we received a call from them indicating we were accepted into their program. They immediately setup appointments for me which were on November 13, but said they would work on moving them to an earlier date. Since then, working with Mayo (Nurse coordinator Anita of Mayo has done ALL the work and communications, what a blessing she has been), my dates are now set for Sept 25 for a lab visit and then a CAT Scan, Sept 26 for a gastroenterology consultation, Sept 27 for the biopsy and then meetings on Oct 2 for surgery evaluation and then for oncology evaluation.