Nash Saunders

First post: Jul 28, 2021 Latest post: Aug 14, 2021
Thank you for visiting. Nash entered this world on 7/7/21. after a relatively uneventful pregnancy we reached our scheduled c section date. The morning of our scheduled repeat c section I ended up going into labor at 3am. We arrived at the hospital at 6am unaware that I was in full active labor. I thought I was just having some contractions, couldn't believe I was already half way dilated. C section went as planned, during it though they found that we were in the middle of a placental abruption. While Nash was making his way out he inhaled a lot of bloody amniotic fluid and had to be suctioned and needed a little extra help to get going. He was taken to the nursery right away. I waited a long 4 hrs to get to see him as I had to wait for the feeling back in my legs to transfer to a wheel chair. He needed some oxygen for the first day to help his saturation and he had some percussion treatment to help get the rest of the fluid out. After that he was able to stay in the room with us. We took him home as normal 2 days later. On Wednesday 7/21 we noticed he was a little sleepier than he had been, but was still waking to eat. He also felt warm so we took his temp and he was at 100.6 so we left for the Er. There he received blood work, the er Dr had luckily been the resident of the pediatric Dr that was on in Duluth so they were in close communication right away. They talked about a lumbar puncture which confused us at first but they knew what they were doing. We were transferred by ambulance from grand rapids to Duluth within a couple hours and arrived at about 1230am 7/22. When we rolled into the hospital room it was a pretty mad rush of nurses Drs and tests. I am so thankful for the right people in the right spot at the right time. We didn't worry about all the small stuff right away just got right into getting the lumbar puncture, blood work, administering antibiotics, and stabilizing him. It took a bit to get results back but when they found the bug (listeria meningitis) they were able to take 1 of the 3 antibiotics away and adjust the other 2 doses. So far he has been doing great. We are on day 7 of 21 already and he has already gained a pound since being here. The picc line attempt and subsequent failure is the only bump we have hit so far and luckily his IV is still holding strong. I unfortunately have also been having some issues recovering from the c section. On 7/15 my incision opened up and started leaking. I had developed a seroma so we have been packing it twice a day and letting it heal from the inside. Unfortunately it has now developed an infection. Awaiting results and course of treatment for that as well has really put a damper on my emotional health and clearly physical. I will remain strong for my tiny fighter though and hope that I won't have to be admitted for treatment and have to be away from him. Check back for updates.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Nash’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register