Jun 18, 2017 Latest post:
Aug 25, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
Dad has been on a very rough road for the past 6-8 months. To give you a little history we need to go back to the fall of 2016:
· He had issues with his foot to the point that he could not bear weight. The doctors felt that he had an infection due to broken skin and he had difficulty healing due to his diabetes.
· In February 2017 it was determined that he needed to have an amputation because the leg was infected. They took the leg below the knee. When they went in to do the surgery they found that he had an artificial vein that last loaded with MRSA so they pulled out the vein.
· On February 14th he was given a pacemaker due to heart arrhythmia.
· On February 15th he went into transitional care.
· On March 10th he left transitional care and came to my house. He was not interested in going back to his home. He was only with me for about 4 days before he spiked a high fever and needed to go back to the hospital (March 17th)
· On March 20th they removed the pacemaker out in fear that he was housing the MRSA infection.
· They continued to treat the infection but knew that he had another artificial vein that was likely loaded with MRSA but they could not remove because it was too high risk. They determined that he would need to be on consistent antibiotics to maintain/manage the infection.
· On April 3rd- he had a second amputation same leg but above the knee. This was healed by leaving the wound wide open to avoid infection due to stitches.
· From here I don’t know dates but he developed lung issues and difficulty breathing, soon after they found he had a mucus plug blocking his airway. He was given a choice to risk an intubation which could result in a ventilator or hospice where he would have days to weeks to live.
· Being the fighter that he is, he decided to fight through and went into long-term acute care at Bethesda hospital for about 3 weeks.
· Through constant nebulizers, he was able to dislodge the plug and they took fluid off his lung which turned things around 180 degrees.
· He was released and went back to transitional care where he was very upbeat, gaining strength, making great progress for about 2 weeks a then his fluid started to build up again so he went back into St.Joseph hospital.
· For the past week, they have worked to get the fluid off his lungs but it has been slow so now they think the MRSA infection may be affecting his heart. We are now back to discussions about going under to see if the heart can be repaired but the risk is extremely high or hospice care.