Mar 21, 2018 Latest post:
Apr 18, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website and Communication central. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting .We will update at least twice a week on Marsha's condition and other information. We would appreciate it if you would use this forum to satisfy your concerns about Marsha.
Before I begin, I must save a big hug for Richard and Connie Unger. They have both been intensely involved with helping us to find the right Doctors as well as answering the most inane questions. We love you both for your friendship and compassion.
Now to the story:
About a month or so ago, Marsha went for her annual mammogram. As has happened over the years the first mammogram wasn't clear enough and another one was needed. However, when the second mammogram and ultrasound were done two suspicious areas showed up.
A biopsy was ordered and the results showed that one of the areas was cancerous. This was on the same side as Marsha's first cancer almost 11 years ago. The team of Doctors treating Marsha laid out options to think about but nothing was set until the final pathology report came in. That was yesterday. We don't know if Marsha will have chemotherapy but surgery will come first.
We have an appointment with the Plastic surgeon on April 4th. Marsha cannot have radiation after the surgery as she had it with her first cancer. In any case she has elected to have a double mastectomy and some form of reconstruction. Whatever Marsha decides it is our understanding that the reconstruction will immediately follow the mastectomy.
In addition, Marsha seems to have a pinched nerve in her back resulting from several vertebrae compressing to some degree on the sciatic nerve. She is in a great deal of pain and has trouble walking. Other than trying a different pain medication we will have to wait until the surgery is over to address this issue.
Now for some better news:
The final pathology came back from the biopsy. Marsha is hormone positive but HER2 negative. Not being a doctor ( which may change in the next few weeks) all I can say is that this is good news on treating Marsha after surgery. The radiation oncologist has rated Marsha's tumor as a grade 2 stage 1 or early stage 2 cancer. This could change after the CT and Bone scan next week but the radiation oncologist doesn't think the grading will change. In any case we are encouraged.