Kimberly Roberts

First post: Jan 28, 2017 Latest post: Apr 27, 2017
We have set up this website to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

This all began in mid October 2016 with a discomfort to my side. My symptoms started to get worse and in mid December 2016 I went in to my doctor and got checked out and blood work done. My doctor also wanted me to get an ultrasound. The doctor called me the next day and said my blood counts around the liver were elevated and he sent me to the General Surgeon. I went to him and he determined the gall bladder was bad and needed to be removed.

I had surgery to remove the gall bladder and when he was in there is saw the tumor on my pancreas and 2 spots on my liver. He took biopsies of these while he was doing the surgery.  The next day after the gall bladder removal, another surgeon had to put in a plastic stent to open up my bile duct. While he was in there, he saw another tumor near the bile duct pressing against it which made it difficult to place the stent. Along with this he saw tiny 5mm spots lining my stomach and he took biopsies of those. December 22, the general surgeon told Rob and I it was cancer. He could not say how bad it was because he was not an oncologist, but setup up an appointment with an oncologist for Friday, December 30th. 

On December 30th, we went to the oncologist. He was questioning me on what I have been through and then asked if I had cancer. I told him that is what I am here for. He said let's look at your CAT scans. As he was reviewing the charts, he was reexplaining everything the surgeon said. Then he said, "Yes, you have cancer. Its pancreatic cancer. It has spread to your stomach and liver, therefore  it's stage IV. It cannot be cured." Talk about hard to hear. Talk about life changing. Talk about the hardest thing to hear. 

My response once we stopped crying, "I'm going to fight and beat this. I've got to much to live for."  

The oncologist said he wants to do intense Chemo treatment which would include 3 types of Chemo for 5-6 hours at the cancer center and taking a pump home for treatment at home for 46 hours then I would come back after that to get that removed. This treatment would continue every two weeks. Then in 2-3 months they will do a CAT scan to see if my body is responding to the Chemo and if the cancer is staying the same or shrinking. If it is working we keep with the treatments. 

I went to U of M for a second opinion on January 23 and the doctor and physician assistant were very personable and kind. They did agree with the first doctors treatment. So now we have peace of mind that this is what I need to try. The healing of my body from this begins. 

One day at a time, in Faith.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Kimberly’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register