Gwen Pascarelli | CaringBridge

Gwen Pascarelli

First post: Oct 28, 2015 Latest post: Aug 11, 2018
Welcome to my CaringBridge site, created at the very beginning of my "health crisis journey" to keep friends and family updated every step of the way.  Your support as you read and pray, and your words of hope and encouragement in the Comments (or the "Thoughts and Well Wishes" page) were and are much appreciated.

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC ovarian cancer in October 2015, just 3 months after my 50th birthday, and six weeks after starting a new job.  The cancer was spread throughout my abdomen (lower and upper) and was in several abdominal lymph nodes.  I went through a "tumor debulking" surgery which removed ~95% of the cancer, and then I started chemotherapy, which ran from Nov 2015 to May 2016.  The chemo successfully attacked the remaining 5% of the cancer, bringing my CA-125 "ovarian cancer tumor marker" protein in my blood back down to normal levels (0-35).  It had been ~2000 before surgery, ~300 just after surgery, ~165 before chemo started.  At the end of my chemo treatments, it had come down to 4.

Alongside the cancer, I had to battle a separate very-rare condition called chylous ascites, a post-surgery complication that developed right after the initial surgery but wasn't diagnosed until late December.  Fluid was leaking out of my lymphatic system into my abdomen for about four months until it was finally healed as of early March 2016 - Praise God!  I also developed some infections in March that put chemotherapy on hold for a month, but as of early April, I was feeling great, and as of early May, I started declaring myself as a cancer survivor (and an ascites survivor!  and a TPN survivor!  and a chemotherapy survivor!)  I am celebrating life!  And I am very thankful for all the people who have been -- and are -- praying for me during my battle with cancer, all along the way.  God is my joy, my strength, and my hope!

Within this journal are the details of my journey through treatments and remission and treatments again*.   I invite you to browse through my Journal, and join in the journey with me.  Feel free to reach out to me with questions or for support and strength for your own cancer journeys/stories.

* Yes, the cancer recurred (CT scan showed it growing in spaces outside my liver) in April 2017, 11 months after my 1st round of IV chemo had ended.  I went through Round 2 of IV chemo [Apr-Sep. 2017] and then I took an oral chemo "maintenance therapy" - daily pills - for 7 months [Oct17-May18]. The cancer started growing and spreading again ("nodal disease" - visibly active in >20 lymph nodes in a PET scan in May 2018), so I am starting anti-cancer treatment again in mid-Summer 2018.  My staging has advanced to Stage 4 (cancer has grown/appeared outside my abdominal cavity - it's in my chest cavity now, too (lymph nodes, implants of cancer around heart, lungs).  I will likely always be on some kind of anti-cancer drug therapy now.  The ongoing treatment strategy is to change the drug each time the cancer cells "figure out" (mutate and develop resistance to) the drugs they have "seen".

I continue to "live with cancer", and I am fighting this deadly disease's progression to live as long as I can here on earth, by God's love and mercy, until I am raised to eternal life in Christ. :)  Constant prayer support for the daily journey is much appreciated!  And prayers for a cure to be found, as well as believing prayers for miraculous healing by the power of Christ (deliverance from, eradication of the cancer) ... Keep lifting those prayers up to the Lord, too! Nothing is impossible for God!  Thanks!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Gwen’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register
SVG_Icons_Back_To_Top
Top