Can you support CaringBridge during our fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
May 10, 2020 Latest post:
Jul 12, 2020
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
As you may or may not know, Gil was diagnosed with a brain stem glioma officially in January 2017, after a Bell’s palsy incident Nov 1st 2016. We brought him to an after hours clinic and because he had an unsteady gait along with Bell’s palsy symptoms, they suggested he go to the ER. He went to St. John's where they took a MRI of his head. After seeing something suspicious on the MRI of his head, they ended up taking an MRI of his neck as well. There was definitely something there on his brainstem, but they weren't sure what it was. St. John's believed he would receive more appropriate care at St. Joe's hospital, so he was soon transferred over. At Joe's, he was on IV steroids for a week. His neurologist was not certain of what exactly it was. After several questions and asking the neurologist if he would bring his family member to Mayo his answer was yes and he would get the paperwork started. So In Jan Gil went to Mayo. In a repeat MRI at Mayo, it was determined he has a Brain Stem Glioma( aka the Alien). Since Gil really had no symptoms since, being a symptomatic, he was to returned to Mayo every 6 months for repeat MRI and to see his neurologist. 2019 Gil had a couple of tumbles. Had usual 6 months Follow up July 2019. The alien was growing. At that time it was suggested that he might want to start thinking about chemo/ radiation for the next visit. We talked about it and what he might do over the months ahead. He made a follow up for Dec 2019. Middle of December he took a significant fall in the tub, broke quite a few ribs, and was in a ton of pain. Got through that. Then Dec 20 went to Mayo. Alien grew a little more. Gil decided to do 6 weeks of chemo/ radiation at Mayo. A lot of miles put on the suburban! A few ups and downs through that but graduated Feb 20th, 2020. Then March 14 was barely responsive, hearing my voice and Crysta’s like Mickey and Minnie Mouse. 911 called, they were questioning a Stroke. MRI showed no signs, but he couldn’t keep him oxygen levels up so the admitted him. Rapid response called overnight and eventually to ICU. Was one blood gas away from putting him on a ventilator! Got over that! That’s when they were only allowing one visitor in the hospital. Discharged on a Wed, and Friday ended up in the ER again after a follow up with pulmonologist PA. This time with bilateral pulmonary embolism’s. After much discussion and conversations with Mayo, it was decided he could be put on a slow Heparin drip, but that could end up horrible! Well he made it through that as well! So here we sit. Apt with Mayo May 19th. He is pretty weak ! Took another tumble up north last Saturday, did a face plant. Just asking for prayers!