Anthony Mabry

First post: Apr 14, 2018 Latest post: May 28, 2018
We began down this road on Friday, March 30.  Anthony thought he had a Hiatal Hernia, which is very bad indigestion.  This continued throughout the weekend.  He went to work, which is 1 hour and a half away, in Columbia. First miracle!  I left to go to see Atticus in Athens, Georgia, thinking he was fine. Anthony doesn't complain when he is sick and doesn't like to be bothered. I called on Tuesday when I found out he was home again from work.  He answered his cell phone, which if you knew him was a miracle.  I told him to go to the doctor, but he said he was going to take a nap.  That is how his brother, Michael died.  Instead of taking a nap, he decided to go to get something to eat. Third miracle. On the way he goes by his Dr.'s office and stops by to get an appointment for the afternoon.  They take him right back and do an EKG.  Very abnormal, so he is taken by ambulance to Greenville Hospital.   I find out at 2 o'clock because the Dr.s office calls.  I talk to him and he tells Atticus and I to stay in Athens.  Again he says,  I am sick, but I'm ok. His brother, Sammy, goes to check on him on Tuesday and he is still in the ER.    I head to the hospital, Wednesday, the next day after picking up my car in Greenwood where Atticus works.  I'm thinking he will have a stint, but believe it will be bypass after a nurse from the hospital calls and says we need to talk once I get there.  His blood pressure is 50/26, so he is very very sick.  He is being kept alive by an Impella Machine.  You would never know it because his mind is as sharp as a tack and he is talking as if he and and  I were deciding what we will eat. By this time,  I have already asked for prayers from everyone I know. Late in the afternoon, we get the news that he will need a heart transplant and an L-Vad will keep him alive till then. Talk about shock! I had never even heard of an L-Vad.   That's when I am glad I have put my faith in Jesus Christ and have the friends and family that have lifted his name to the throne of God.  On Wednesday at about 9:30, Anthony is flown by helicopter to Charlotte  where the incredible team of Dr.s have already been talking about the best plan for Anthony.  Atticus and I drive up on Thursday morning and meet Dr. Mishgin and I hear about Dr. Skipper, and of course, Hannah who is the perfect nurse for Anthony.  A little sassy,but a great sense of humor.  The Dr.s begin the plan for L-Vad surgery that was set for Monday, but quickly changed to Saturday at 1:00. We are told the surgery will take 4-6 hours. Once prepping was complete, the surgery only took 2 1/2 hours.  This was one of many miracles we have seen the Lord provide us with for encouragement. I am thankful for Atticus, Jacob, Kristen, Sammy, my dad, Karen and her side of the family and my brother, Duane's side of the family who have just been incredible.  Thankful for the many friends who have been there for me too.  My church, Infinity, has been truly faithful to pray for us. My team of friends at school and faculty have been fabulous, but if you knew them you would not be surprised. Anthony's team at work are just as incredible.  He and I are blessed that he has a boss and friend(s) at work that are concerned.  Then there are the people you haven't heard from in such a long time, but are praying and concerned.  These are the times the love of others shines brightly.  I am touched by every ones love!! 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Anthony’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register