Can you support CaringBridge during our fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Feb 2, 2018 Latest post:
Jun 10, 2019
Although we are still in the midst of trying to figure out what is going on with mom's health this time around, I am creating a site to update everyone at the same time as I am having am finding myself calling and texting and trying to keep everyone in the loop and am struggling to get it all done.
Mom was admitted to Essentia in Fargo on Sunday night after the nursing home notified me that she was having trouble breathing and that her oxygen levels were quite low. The doctor on call for her was not comfortable waiting until morning to have her checked out. She ended up being admitted after a chest x-ray revealed significant fluid in the lungs. A CAT scan the next day confirmed a significant amount of fluid. At this time they are treating her with antibiotics and diuretics with the assumption of pneumonia. She still has not been able to be fully weaned from the oxygen though.
She looked better yesterday than when she first came in, and was breathing a bit easier, but still is not wanting to eat (anything besides pumpkin pie, angel food, and strawberries... and maybe an occasional hard boiled egg). She is extremely tired, but at least started turning on her tv yesterday. The first couple of days she did not even want the tv on.
Today a cardiologist was consulted, and I received a call around 5:00 stating that she is accumulating water in the sac that holds the heart (sorry for the lack of technical terms... so much info to absorb and I don't have the brain of a spring chicken anymore :)), and that the amount of fluid appears to be increasing over the last few days. He suggested surgery to drain the fluid, but first needed to consult with the surgeon. I was there tonight when the surgeon came in, and he is not wanting to rush into surgery with her current age and health. He is wanting to gather a bit more history, and we will reassess tomorrow.
At this time, we do not have a definitive cause for the fluid buildup in either the heart or the lungs, and with her many pre-existing health conditions and all the sickness going around at this time, we may not be able to determine if there is a viral cause or something else.
I will be heading to the hospital when I get up in the morning, and will likely be there all day so that I can be sure to be there when the doctors come in. I will post updates as I become aware.