November 14, 2020 (Zach)
Good evening family, friends, and prayer partners around the world,
Today marks ten days since Mom underwent the biggest surgery of her life. So many of you have poured out so much love on all of us, and we truly don't know how to thank you. This has, without a doubt, been the toughest time we've ever gone through as a family; and knowing that we have a worldwide community that we can lean on through the uncertainty is second only to trusting that our Heavenly Father has a perfect plan.
Many have asked how Mom has taken to the arduous stage of recovery, so here is an attempt at keeping you updated. The day after the surgery, November 5th, felt pretty surreal; especially when Dad connected all of us kids, Nana Amick (Mom's mom), and Aunt Deb (Mom's sister) on a FaceTime group call to see her for the first time since she'd awoken. Even through the fog of a lot of medicine in her system, she was beaming with a big smile and bright eyes; and just as seeing someone after they die is for closure, I felt like this was "closure" that she had really made it through!
The next several days were thankfully uneventful. Haley drove out and was able to take her new little service puppy, Teddy, into the ICU to cuddle with Mom in her hospital bed. On November 6th, she was transferred to a normal room; and even though her nerve block wore off the next day, we are all grateful that the pain that she feels now is almost a "good" pain that takes her toward full health (as opposed to the escalating "bad" pain that was slowly sucking the life out of her over the last two years). On November 9th, the medical team determined that she had hit some targets regarding her digestive system and decided to take one of her tubes out. Those of you who have been getting some of Dad's little video updates could tell that there was a renewed sparkle of hope and strengthened belief in his eyes.
Unfortunately, Lexi's time with Mom on November 10th, 11th and 12th proved a little more frustrating and scary. After dealing with some considerable cavity drainage issues and realizing that her stomach was leaking later in the evening on the 10th, the doctors scheduled a CT scan for the next day. Dad then sent out an urgent call to prayer on the 11th, as Mom's blood pressure dropped, one of her lungs partially collapsed, and she started going septic in her stomach. It was decided pretty quickly after her oxygen levels plummeted and she passed out that they would do an emergency surgery to drain the extra fluid. Lexi, now 20 weeks pregnant with Dad and Mom's seventh grandbaby, was given the opportunity to stay in the room, and then watched as they reinserted the nasogastric (NG) tube. Following the surgery, Mom was taken back to the ICU due to the immense amount of pain and her fluctuating oxygen levels. Thankfully, instead of just opening her back up completely, the doctors had agreed to use the NG tube to keep her stomach empty with the hopes of giving it some time to heal itself. Before heading back to North Carolina, Lexi voiced that although Mom seemed a little confused, agitated, and sometimes giggly on the pain medicine (she was quoted telling the doctor that she "could've done the surgery better herself" ;)), she could breathe freely again after the new incision drained about a liter of fluid from around her lungs. She had also gotten quite dehydrated, but was receiving lots of fluids now that the complications were under control.
Dad has spent the past two days with Mom in Pittsburgh, and physically, she is back to a stable state. Yesterday, the medical team took the uncomfortable NG tube back out, and although she is still on oxygen, she was able to ingest some broth and ginger ale. There is still a large amount of fluid draining from her cavity, but right now, it seems that this is a good sign. Mom has been mentally disoriented and confused, and to add to the emotional burden on Dad and the nursing staff, she has been pleading with everyone to be able to "just go home". With all of the medicine playing tricks on her, she believes many of us/you all have been there in the room or the hallway...so you might have had a conversation with her without you even knowing it! ;)
Even miracles have their own timelines; and as we all can see so clearly, God is using Mom's experience and battle to challenge, bless, and inspire people across the globe--as well as right at her bedside. Please continue to pray with us that she get the very best care from the medical providers (a prayer that's been answered time and again already), and that we could get her home as soon as it's safe to do so.
Thank you for being there. It means more than you could possibly imagine.
Help Teresa Stay Connected to Family and Friends
A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers a site like Teresa's for one month. Will you make a gift to ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?
- Leslie BarnettTeresa went to our Saviour on December 14 2020. https://www.allen-funeralhome.com/obituaries/Teresa-Frey/4/2/21
- Rita GoodwinWould really appreciate an update.4/2/21
- Maghen SingerAre there any new updates?3/31/21
- Judy DeShonYou are on my mind and in my heart tonight. ❤️🙏🏼❤️12/6/20
- Debbie CleaverLove your sweet family. Continuing prayers from Idaho. Please say hello to mom, dad and Hailey.12/3/20
- a boucherPraying for you from Thailand, Teresa!11/22/20
- Michele LewisThank you for the update. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Continuing to pray for strength and healing, and that Teresa will be home soon (if she isn’t already)! Love you all! John & Michele Lewis11/18/20
- wendy kraftI see the Frey family clearly within these images and within this story. You are all precious....and cared for. Declaring complete restoration with you in the name above all names, our loving Savior Jesus Christ. With love and adoration, Wendy Kraft11/18/20
- Marjorie MartinI can't wait until you tell her we all were in the room or hallway while she was under the influence of meds. Nope, she felt all our prayers spiritually rooting for her.🤩❤🙏11/18/20
- Debbie WarrenThanks for the update! We won't stop praying!! This sounds like Teresa even when she isn't on meds!!! Crazy girl!! I love her so much!! Praying for the pain and the recovery and for her to have peace as she heals. Love you all!!11/17/20
- Jay SmullPraying for you my friends!! May the peace that passes all understanding envelop the whole Frey family!!11/17/20
- Lin JohnsonThank you so much for the update Zach. We continue to pray constantly for Teresa’s healing. We believe that God is holding Teresa in the palm of his hands and will help her to get through all of this. We also pray for you and your family for strength. We love you dearly.11/16/20
- Michelle MielkeThank you for the update and the precious photos! We rejoice with you in the progress so far and continue to pray for God to orchestrate His perfect plan of healing. He is using your journey as a song of faithfulness and praiseful gratitude to God!11/15/20
- Suzanne StoltzfusThanks for the update Zach! Continuing to pray. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼11/15/20
- Lydia SeibertPraise God! He is good! Will continue to pray!11/15/20
- Doug DeWittOur prayers continue to be with all of you!11/15/20
- Carol Streepy MedinaThank you for sharing Zack. We are praying for y’all down here in Texas 💛💛💛💛💛11/15/20
- Lillian AmickThank you for the update. Skip and I are praying for your mother and your family. Love to you all. ♥️♥️♥️♥️11/15/20
- Maggie SnyderContinued blessings! We serve an awesome God and he is so good!11/15/20
- Mary JacobyThank you so much for keeping us updated. I pray daily for all of you and praise God for His faithfulness.11/15/20
- Robin JewellContinuing to pray for you all. Thank you for this update.11/15/20
- marsha heplerThank you Frey family for allowing us to be a part of Teresa's recovery. I pray for her regularly. So grateful for all of you and prayers for your peace of mind and heart. Love and hugs to all of you.11/15/20
- Trevor MostWe will continue to pray for her, the family, & medical teams! Stay strong! 🙏🏻11/15/20
- Suzanne MaterneThank you for the update Zach! Praying for all of you! God is good! All the time!11/15/20
- Lisa MalloyYou all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Prayers for a complete recovery.11/15/20
- Simon ObiPrecious father, you are the greatest and nothing is beyond you. Thank you gracious God for your daughter Teresa, thank you Lord for the healings over her. Thank you faithful father in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen11/15/20
- Dhyan SkinnerPrayers are freely and heartily given. Even tho Teresa and I have not met for years, she is still my family as are you all, and loved in my heart. Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery. Love and hugs.....Dhyan11/15/20
- Jo CookThank you for the update Zach, it’s amazing to me that someone so early in their recovery can look so beautiful! You all continue to be in my thoughts. jo (England) xx11/15/20
- Scott and Kathy GravesFather, please bring complete restoration and healing to Teresa's body. And please give this entire family your peace and rest.11/15/20
- Nancy WallisWill continue my prayers for a complete recovery!!11/15/20
- John and Debbie WoleslagleZach, Thank you for the update. Continued prayers from John and I. You and your family are truly blessed. Virtual hugs to you all. Love, Debbie and John Woleslagle11/15/20
- Mike BushWe continue to pray.11/15/20