Sue’s Story

Site created on June 15, 2020

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, around 1:00 p.m.,  Sue and Mark Weber were at Indian Riffle Park, on their way to a family birthday celebration.  While trying to get across a drainage ditch, her right knee hyper-extended, breaking her leg  and Sue fell, face first, into the side of the grassy ditch.  As a result of the fall, she also broke her left shoulder.  Mark called 911 and she was taken to Miami Valley South.  Sue never lost consciousness this whole time.  The medical personnel did x-rays and CT scans, and administered pain medication, which did little to ease her pain.  It was discovered that Sue's right leg had vascular damage, which required a vascular surgical team, not available at MV South.  They transported her to Miami Valley Hospital-Main Campus.  After the emergency team performed their own exam and testing, Sue was scheduled for immediate surgery.  She went back to surgery at 7:00 p.m.   The first surgical team stabilized the broken bones and then the vascular surgical team began restoring blood flow to her leg.  The artery in her right leg below her knee was damaged but not torn, and the vascular surgeons (2 of them) performed bypass surgery using one of Sue's veins in her leg.  Their main concern was getting blood flowing back into the leg tissue.  She has a "halo" around her whole right leg, a 24-inch incision from her ankle to mid-thigh, and her leg bones will be repaired in two weeks.  Both operations took around 5 hours.  She got through recovery and into her room at 2:00 a.m. June 15.  She is not in ICU.  She is not in a medically-induced coma but is heavily medicated.  Her doctors are watching to make sure her tissue recovers and is getting good blood supply, they are monitoring her for blood clots and her incision does not get infected.  Also, because of her pre-existing condition Churg-Strauss, they are being mindful of her lungs.  

Newest Update

Journal entry by Mark Weber

Sue gets an ultrasound of her leg every three months. In April her third bypass was going strong.  In July we got the news that the bypass had failed. We knew this was going to happen, the doctor told us it would be a matter of when. It was still a shock. When we saw the doctor for the follow up she told us that the purpose of the bypass was to give us time. She said that it failed sooner than she had thought it would, but it had given us the time we needed. The bypass was to get Sue’s wounds healed. Sue has developed enough collateral arteries she can keep her leg. We need to be very careful about getting wounds on that leg as they probably will not heal and then she runs the risk of losing the leg. The doctor that has helped us so much is relocating to Wisconsin. We are in the process of getting a new vascular doctor. Sue has used the allotted 20 outpatient visits allowed by insurance.  She is using a walker to learn to walk again. We are working on doing stair steps at home. Sue is able to get out some. She has had a lot of loss in the last year please continue to hold her up in your prayers. Thank you for the prayers.
Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Sue Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers Sue's site for one month. Will you make a gift to help ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.