While it is true that I have wanted to stay upbeat in my postings here, Steve and I are moving into the reality of the bone-tired exhaustion and ongoing stress of this endeavor. We’ve realized, especially with the diagnosis of myeloma and many months of treatment and recovery still ahead, that we will need an extensive community of care.
We both have a deep pool of support of family and friends in Minnesota and have decided to move back there for his post-radiation treatment. (Some of you may not know that Steve is from there originally.) The Mayo myeloma program is considered the strongest in the country. His CA chemo doc is fully in support of this move and sent an urgent referral, and thus we are due for our first appointment there in mid to late December. We are hoping to do his chemo in Minneapolis where my home is, and then do the bone marrow transplant at Mayo.
Many thanks to Grace who has begun coordinating meals for us, and the friends in Santa Clara who are stepping up with meals and visits when we need support! You are godsends.
In addition, my daughter has just had a health emergency so I flew back to MN yesterday to help with that. Fortunately we have his friend David and brother Eric coming to be with him this week, and other folks are on deck to come if needed.
Radiation starts in a week! His prep appointment was fascinating.