Steve’s Story

Site created on May 15, 2019

I have decided that it is easier for me to share with you all what is happening with me through this site. 

About 6 weeks ago I had a fall and landed on my tailbone. It hurt , I  used ice packs etc and went to urgent care, nothing was broken. I took a week off work and started physical therapy per discharge instructions. I could not even sleep in bed, managed to get some in the recliner for 6 nights. The following week I went to work, I lasted 5 days. New pain started developing, shooting down my legs and waist. This felt like a really, really bad pinched nerve. I used a cane to help me stand up and sit down, getting in an out of a car was absolute torture. So the next step was to see my primary doctor,  she ordered an MRI. I took a copy of the scan to a back pain place and got an epidural which really helped. 
Two days later, my primary doctor called and was very concerned about the results of the MRI and referred me to Barrow Neurological Institute. I got the appointment right away, met with Dr Uribe and we went over the results. I have a huge herniated disc- the worst he has ever seen at L1 L2 in front of the spine, making access very difficult and he said that surgery is inevitable.  He ordered a CT scan to see if the disc is calcified, which it is. That makes it even more complicated. 
Dr.Uribe had me come to his office, I had my wife and mother with me. We went over the details of what is going to be a 6-7 hr surgery to replace the disc with a graft . The risk of paralysis is 20%. Holy shit!
If I  chose not to do this, risk of nerve damage and paralysis would become greater and surgery would become much more difficult as calcification of the disc would continue.
So here we are. This is real.
I am scheduled for Friday May 24th.

I will post journal entries as time goes on.
I believe there is something to be said for having as many people as you know sending positive, healing vibes. 

Newest Update

Journal entry by Steve Hierath

It is hard to believe that 12 weeks ago I had my surgery. I am doing well, I will be having my follow up on Monday. I expect I  will need physical therapy for a few weeks, then be able to go back to work.

I need to let you all know that this past Monday, Roberta had a seizure. Luckily, I was home and heard her collapse in the bathroom. I called 911 and the paramedics were here in 4 minutes. She cut the side of her face on the edge of the cabinet and sustained multiple bruises all over her body. At the hospital, she had CT scans of her head and jaw, and a chest xray. She came home that evening. She had an MRI on Thursday. While her bruises are healing, we are in search of answers to what caused the seizure and what we can do for treatment. We are currently waiting to be seen by a neurologist and hope to get in next week. 

So, again, I reach out to all and ask for positive, healing vibes!
Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Steve Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers Steve's site for one month. Will you make a gift to help ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.