Michael’s Story

Site created on April 21, 2020

Michael suffered a major stroke (brain bleed) on Monday, April 20, 2020.   The stroke occurred as he was checking in to be COVID-screened for work at AdventHealth Daytona Beach, so fortunately he was surrounded by quick-acting medical professionals and received care immediately.   

Neurosurgery took place within 2 hours or so to stop the bleed, but the doctor said before the surgery that it did not look promising for Michael. Following the surgery the doctor said he wished he had good news, but he did not and that the surgery did not go well.  There was just too much bleeding and Michael would not survive.  Michael was taken to the Intensive Care Unit and plans were made with hospice and the organ donation folks.  But then..........the next morning (April 21), Michael opened his eyes and squeezed the doctor's hand, much to the doctor's amazement. The doctor was speechless as he did not expect this at all!  Well, the Good Lord is not done with Michael yet and now we are working on healing!

Please share your well wishes, stories, pictures, anything you'd like on this avenue we will use for updating on Michael's condition.  Our hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ, the great physician and healer. Thanks be to God for the gift of Michael George Koch!

Newest Update

Journal entry by Linda Koch

Yes, Michael is still in the hospital -- 16 days now. The week started off with the threat of him getting a feeding tube put in, but so far he has been perking up and eating, even feeding himself as of last night. He has been drowsy and his sleep cycle is off a bit.  His imagination has been on overload.  A couple of things he has told us -- "just pulling into the driveway with the girls", "going to make myself a sandwich", "just took myself to wrestlemania", "walked the dogs with my grandparents", and last night he "was in a submarine at Disappearing Island after going to math class that morning".  Today he got his stitches out from the shunt surgery and had another EEG. So far no news on the EEG, so hopefully that is good.  

We received a package of 30 cards from Michael's last rehab that came to them after Michael left. Opening them will keep him busy tomorrow when I visit.  Still no word on when he will be discharged, or to where, so we're just hanging in there and advocating daily for the best for Michael's future.

Please continue to keep Michael (and us) in your prayers.  Thank you, friends!!

Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Michael Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers a site like Michael's for one month. Will you make a gift to ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.