Just realized I haven’t updated this since our last “procedure”. Last week was Board week at the office so I had a big distraction. Anyway, they were able to remove two large fibroids on the 29th as part of my D&C. Both were tested along with other samples take and on October 30th, Dr Worly called to tell me there was no uterine cancer. Thank the Lord. I had a follow up with him last week on the 8th and we will see him again in 6 months or so for a recheck. Also met my new plastic surgeon, Dr Chetta. We liked him but he was a little more forthcoming with info. This reconstruction process is a little bigger deal than we were thinking but we won’t dwell on that too much til we know what my personal experience will be. Surgery is scheduled for November 19th - one week from tomorrow. We are ready. Please pray with me over the next week for Dr Carson, Dr Chetta, all the surgery techs and nurses, the anesthesiologist and of course my family who will have to wait anxiously while I am blissfully knocked out cold and not aware of time passing too slowly. We are in the final stretch now. Soon we will know what treatment (if any) beyond surgery is needed and we can get on with it.
Had my D&C today. God's been doing His thing in all this. No surprise but the reminder was encouraging. I started getting a doozy head cold Saturday and was scared it would delay this whole procedure. I went to bed last night at 8 to try to "sleep it off". I slept about 12 hours and was feeling better this morning. I had no fever and everything was in my head and nothing in my chest so they were okay to proceed (HA - story of my life, right?). They did another CBC today (I told you everyone wants some of my blood now)....my hemoglobin is back into the low normal range so the iron pills seem to be working. Thank you God! They were not sure they would be able to remove all the fibroids today due to some of their size but they did! So that was good too. This may have eliminated the need for a hysterectomy......time will tell. Dr Worly said nothing about the procedure today would tell him there was cancer involved but of course we have to wait for the formal pathology report to confirm that. We will keep praying and have hope that will come back clean and having the fibroids out might help with the bleeding and my iron might come back naturally. Maybe our breast surgery delay was to get all this taken care of.....only God knows.
Apparently, I am a little slow to come out of la la land, so we didn't get home tonight til about 6:30, when we thought we would be home by 4:00. I feel pretty good tonight and am getting ready to go to bed. I think I will be back at work tomorrow. So check the iron levels off the list, and now we are one step closer on the uterine health so we are moving forward again, slowly but surely. #Godsgotus #Ironupfibroidsout #futurecancersurvivor
So the endometrial biopsy results came back the very next day (not a week later as we expected) and the results are inconclusive. That, combined with the fibroids of an inconclusive nature have me going in to OSU hospital on Monday for an outpatient D&C for further testing. I like that we aren’t messing around. I have a surgery date that I don’t want moving again. All these tests are related to my anemia but do test for uterine cancer so will be glad to rule that out.
Meanwhile I keep popping my iron pills and working on getting those levels back into the normal range which frankly they haven’t been for several years. I feel pretty awesome for someone as medically messed up as they tell me I am. 😊 #godsgotus #Firstpeterfiveseven
Barring any more unforeseen delays, we have a new date of Monday November 19th for surgery. Yes, that is the week of Thanksgiving but it is kind of a blessing because the girls will be around and Bill won't have to miss as much work. I wish it was sooner but it is what it is.
Meanwhile we continue to dig into what might be causing my anemia. I had an ultrasound yesterday and a endometrial biopsy today. The ultrasound did reveal a couple fibroids that they now are sending me for an MRI to be sure they are "harmless". We should have the biopsy results in the next week or so and the MRI should happen in the next week or so as well. Praying that both of those are not remarkable.
Then I will meet my new plastic surgeon on November 8th for a consult. Dr Carson will still be the oncology surgeon. I just love him and the nurses in his office.
Had an appointment with Dr Masias Castanon an oncology hematologist today. She was sweet and asked if I was “enjoying my tour of every clinic within The James”. We did more blood work and the iron pills seems to be working. My hemoglobin is up to 9.1 now. I really like this Dr. She talks about prioritizing my “issues” and while we have to get my iron to safe levels for surgery she considers my anemia a condition we can deal with after we get rid of the cancer. She will talk to Dr Carson and see if he wants to just give me some blood before surgery or if he wants me to be infused. She sees no reason to delay further because I can be quick boosted for surgery and she is pretty sure my anemia is due to “girl stuff”. Speaking of girl stuff all that will get checked out Tuesday with an ultrasound and Wednesday with some kind of biopsy just to be sure there is nothing besides my age at play there. In the meantime, they called to tell me that the next available surgery spot for the Carson/Sisk surgeon combo is November 30. 😳😳. Dr Carson can go sooner so we are going to try to get a new plastic surgeon so we don’t have to wait so long. Will know more about that tomorrow too. So if you are praying with us, pray for more good test results this week, and a new surgery date ASAP. If I have to wait til the end of November I will need treatment for my mental health and I have a college graduation to attend 12/15 so we need to get this show on the road. #Godsgotus. #keeptrusting #keepeyesonHim
My surgery is being postponed until we can determine what is causing my low iron levels. I have an appointment with a gyn tomorrow (we think the problem is there and I’ll not TMI you but you ladies get it) and then I meet with hematologist on Monday. I cried more today than I have since this began and then I got mad. Real mad. But now I’m settling down. I can go watch Kristine in her first full marathon on Sunday. And I have a little more time to get things done around the house and there are some things at work that I can finish instead of dumping on other people. I don’t know what God is doing here but I trust Him so I’ll confess my anger and fear and pray it gets behind me. And I might just have to lean a little on all the love, support and prayers of others for just a bit until I can steady myself again.
After taking iron supplements for 3 days my iron levels remain virtually unchanged and my white blood counts are higher than last week indicating I may be fighting an infection or getting sick. I feel like I could be getting a cold (some sniffles and sneezes) but otherwise okay. Results have been sent to surgeons and will chat with them in the morning. #Godsgoingbeforeus #waitingishard #prayerhelps
So my surgeons and my PCP chatted. It’s kind of cool how all these doctors stay in their own swim lanes. Anyway, I am on iron supplements (starting tonight) and I will have more blood work done on Tuesday to see if we have made any progress in bringing that count up. Honestly, I don’t know what will happen if it doesn’t work that quickly but I’m doing what I’m told and trusting everything will be as it should. Everyone seems dumbfounded that I have no symptoms typical of levels this low (mainly fatigue). The last time I had a CBC done was 2016 and it was only 10 then so I think I may just run a little low......anyway, goal #1 is to get me boosted a bit for surgery and then post operatively this anemia will be another issue to address. Funny how two months ago I was ignorant and blissfully “healthy” and now I seem to be falling apart and nothing is really any different today than it was then. Will update once we have new blood work results Tuesday. Please pray for my doctors, my family and my iron levels. We’ve got a surgery to get to.
This was a long day. Got there at 11:00 and left at 4:00. It really is so great though to have the Speilman Center where you go one place and no matter what happens, what you need next is right there. Bill was with me all day today. Pray for him. Much of the stuff we discussed today, I heard over a month ago and have been coming to terms with ever since. Bill was hearing alot of it straight from the doctors for the first time today (without the benefit of my "love filter"). Anyway, Dr Carson explained that his portion of the surgery will start with sending radioactive dye into the area so that he can find lymph node number 1. He will remove that and based on visual inspection decide if he wants a couple more for testing. That will go straight to the pathology area and they will determine if the little "c" is in there too or not. If it is there, they will remove all the nodes, if it is not, they will leave the little guys alone and move on to removing "the girl". When he is done, Dr Sisk, my plastic surgeon, will do his thing and place an "expander" between the chest wall and the chest muscle put a couple drains in and close. Both of them estimate their portions of the party will take between 2-3 hours each so I hope to be out of surgery around noon if we really get started at 7:30 as planned. BUT THE BEST NEWS OF ALL IS THAT IF ALL GOES ACCORDING TO PLAN, I WILL BE WATCHING THE BUCKEYES FROM MY OWN BED SATURDAY EVENING!!!!!!! The material they had given me to read indicated I would be there for 3 days so this was thrilling news. While I was meeting with Dr. Sisk, Dr Carson's sweet nurse Ann called and asked me to come back to their office before I went to EKG and x-ray. When I got back there she told me that my hemoglobin was very low and asked if I had ever been treated for that. Normal is apparently between 12 and 15 and mine is 8. They will work with my PCP for some history and get back to me on whether or not this will be something that needs to be addressed before I have surgery or after. Pray that we are not delayed by this. Then I had my EKG and x-rays and headed home. As of right now, we still expect to have surgery a week from tomorrow, October 19th and be home on the 20th. That stupid hemoglobin level is the only wild card right now. Keep praying everyone......my faith (and yours) is carrying me right now. I cannot imagine doing this without Big C in my corner. I will update again once I know for sure we are good to go next week.
I talked with Ann again the morning of 9/25/2018 and based on the way I have been praying and the way the results have come back I believe that we should proceed with a unilateral mastectomy. We discuss dates and additional appointments and Ann asks if I have any more questions.......I tell her I do but I bet she wouldn't be comfortable answering it. "Ann, what would YOU do, if you were me?" She doesn't hesitate. I can hear her response as clear as day in my head. "I am not a worrier. I would only remove one. There is no medical reason to remove the right side. Most women who choose both in your situation do it so they never have to worry or look over their shoulder wondering if it will be back. And that is a perfectly normal and acceptable response but it does double the surgery time, the risks and the recovery. I don't worry so I would only do the cancerous side." Instantly, I knew I had made the right decision. I have never really been a worrier either, but I was reminded "fear is never from God" and to remove the healthy right side would be a response to fear and I need to trust that God is taking care of this. I will meet with my surgeons on 10/11 for pre-op consults and blood tests and xrays and such and my surgery will take place the morning of 10/19. I also had a consult today with the radiation team. They will test lymph nodes and the "mass" after surgery. If my lymph node tests are "bad" I will need 5 weeks of daily radiation and if the "mass" scores higher than a 25 on some test, I will need chemo. I don't believe either of those will happen and will continue to pray that this surgery and hormone treatment will be the end of this for me. If you pray, I'd appreciate you praying for that as well.
This was the day I felt something during my shower that I knew was new and shouldn't be there. I went to work and called Spielman Center and explained what I felt and that I wanted a mammogram. The nice gal on the phone explained that it sounded like what I really needed was a diagnostic mammogram and that would have to come from a referral from my Primary Care Physician. And since my last mammogram was on 8/22/2017, insurance would likely want me to wait until 8/23/2018 anyway. Okay......we can do this your way, so I called my Dr and took the first available appointment on 8/22. I told no one about this. I just started praying.