October 15, 2020: Update
"A picture is worth a thousand words." This phrase makes more sense to me today. Kiley had an MRI at 8am. By the time she was done it was 9:30ish and we had a 10am appointment with her neuro-onchologist to go over the results.
I'll start with the gut punch- Kiley is no longer a candidate for the trial she was on. Since there was a "change" since her last MRI on July 3 (measurements were 50% or more of a "change"), then she no longer qualifies for the trial.
Follow me for a second. Radiation can leave what experts call "radiation effects" which leaves the brain matter on MRI imaging to look rather hazy. Kiley's radiation effect was rather large and although the doctor suspects that the hazy imaging is "radiation effects" it's something that we just have to watch and monitor in future MRI scans to confirm. It's a bit frustrating that they were quick to eliminate her from the trial and measure what could be radiation effects and count that against her as "change." Her next MRI is in 6 weeks. Our prayer is that her next MRI looks much better as the "radiation effect" subsides.
Furthermore, it looks as if there was residual tumor as part of her initial surgical resection. It was deep and the surgeon needed to be careful near important motor functioning areas. Today's MRI shows what they believe to be deadening of tissue on the residual tumor. (Remember when we had to "pray for a donut" during one of Mike's MRI's? Kiley's doesn't look like a donut yet.)
Truthfully, we are frustrated and a bit numb. We wanted there to be nothing! Rather, there's hazy brain matter and a tumor looking thing in the surgical field. I'm not questioning the surgeon...I think he did a great job with Kiley's care. I just hate cancer.
So moving forward, Kiley will begin Temozolimide (Temodar), a chemo med, on Monday. She will be on a 5 day cycle with the rest of the month off. Then the dosing starts all over the next month. There are no trials that she qualifies for at CMH unless she has "recurring glioblastoma multiforme" which she doesn't because there are no tumors in other spots in her brain. We may consider looking into other treatment options (trials) in other places, but Kiley really would like to remain local. We have such a great local support of family and friends that make this journey a bit easier as they walk it with us.
--"The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him." Psalm 28:7
Help Kiley Stay Connected to Family and Friends
A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers a site like Kiley's for one month. Your donation to CaringBridge will help keep this site online for them—and for you. And today only, in honor of Giving Tuesday, your gift can be doubled thanks to a generous gift from the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation.
Make your gift in honor of Kiley before midnight tonight!
- Donna CriderKnow it is not the news you wanted. Praying God will take care of it and give you peace!! He is more than able!10/18/20
- Jody FowlerI will continue to pray for God's guidance in the choices you have to make. Love you Kiley!10/17/20
- Stephanie ByrnePraying against all cancer ! Jesus eradicate every cancer cell in Kiley’s body in your Powerful Name!! Amen 🙏🏼♥️10/16/20
- Anita BeltStay positive and we'll keep praying! ♥️10/16/20
- Shirley FryePraying for her Judy. Thank you for the update.10/16/20
- Tammi PointerPraying for your family10/16/20
- Jenni McClungStill sending love and prayers!!10/16/20
- Wayne Embry Prayers for you and your wonderful family. 🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️10/16/20
- Kenton and SaraAnne StahlWe hear your heart and our hearts hurt for you and with you. We are thankful for God’s tender care, even and especially now. Oh how we love you. Praying.10/16/20
- Gail NashYour journey is so extremely hard and God is providing everything you need along the way. I know that you are trusting Him completely, even when frustrating circumstances are experienced. He has you in His perfect loving hands and will not leave you or forsake you. Praying and praying and praying.🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼10/16/20
- Tina GoldenI am praying ❤️10/16/20
- Clint Lemasters🍓10/16/20
- Marla CrismanI’m sorry. What a long & frustrating day :/ Praying for upcoming treatment Monday & for providential movement in every way. Love you all.10/16/20
- Michaela SaxburyThat’s so frustrating! I’m so sorry! Praying everyday!10/16/20
- Tara MastI am going to continue praying for a miracle for Kiley!!!10/16/20
- Lisa WiltI will pray just as you asked! I shared Kiley's story when at the radio station (Life 88.5) yesterday when I shared her owl cupcakes.10/16/20
- Deanna EzzellHave been thinking of you all and praying throughout the day. Thanks for always sharing and keeping us in the loop. Love you all and praying always.10/16/20
- Michael and Krisha KlugHave been praying all day for all of you- thank you for the update and we will continue the prayers!10/16/20