On Thursday night, Sept. 27th, Kate began bleeding. She wasn't worried too much and decided to wait until morning. In the morning, around 6 am, the bleeding continued. "Take me to the emergency room." We both agreed on Swedish in Englewood. They stabilized her. The bleeding didn't stop and her hemoglobin was low so she went to a hospital room. (8123, where she still is.) After several tests including a colonoscopy and nuclear imaging, an embolization of the bleeding was attempted, but failed. Since her blood loss continued, 8 transfusions by that time, Kate and her docs agreed that bowel resection was necessary. That happened on Sunday afternoon. Imaging of bleeds in the bowels is more art than science, so the surgeon removed what he hoped was the right segment. Yesterday (Monday, Oct. 1) she was in pain from the surgery, no pain before, and really confused. Her hemoglobin was better. However, it dropped some later in the day and continues a bit lower than we want. Both the hemoglobin has to stabilize at a safe level for her and her bowels need to restart before she can leave the hospital, maybe as much as a week to ten days. I'll see her again this afternoon and post an update then. I'm sure visitors would be good for her, though she may be asleep, of course.