Journal entry by Linda McKay

First and foremost, George is doing better every day.  He's been talking a lot today and he's been moved out of the ICU to step down care.  He still has a long road ahead but he really appreciates all your thoughts and prayers.  Everyone has been so incredibly nice and thoughtful.  We really can't thank you enough for everything you've done so far, but we've been getting lots of requests from people who want to help, so there's way to set up a schedule on this site for people to bring meals if they're so inclined.  We set up the calendar if you'd like to do that.  It's just for 2 of us so we don't need something every night, but every 2nd or 3rd night would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again for all your support.

On another positive note, Tara moved into her dorm at University of Delaware today!  Go Blue Hens!!  Special shout out to Damian and Carolyn for their help moving Tara in today.

George sends tremendous thanks for all your support!  Shout out to Paul and Carol for the Carson Wentz bear, Wentzski, who will be keeping him company while he recovers. 😊 

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

Today marks one week since George's accident.  Well, at 9:15 tonight it will be one week.  In the past week George has undergone three surgeries.  He had exploratory surgery to rule out internal bleeding (there was none), surgery to repair his badly broken left leg, and surgery to repair his broken left arm. He has A LOT of metal in his body now.  Airport security is going to be a challenge.  Today, he was removed from the ventilator.  He is breathing well, but the next 24-36 hours will be crucial in determining whether he can remain off of the vent.  George is still not speaking much, but it wasn't expected that he would speak as soon as the vent was removed; he probably has a very sore throat. 
While George continues to make progress, I am constantly reminded that this process will take a lot of time and will include setbacks as well as triumphs.  He is not just going to snap out of it and return home as much as I wish that were so.   I appreciate all of the prayers and wishes for recovery and healing.  Please keep them coming.  
We will celebrate a couple of  special milestones coming up as Tara moves into her dorm at the University of Delaware on Saturday and Connor starts high school on Monday!  Please include prayers for a smooth transition to college for Tara and to high school for Connor in your prayers for our family.  
Thank you all for your continued support.

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

George made a lot of progress this weekend!  While he is still on a ventilator, the amount of breathing support he is receiving is decreasing, and George is spending more time breathing on his own with minimal support.  The heaviest pain medication has been stopped, and George is receiving pain medication only as needed. He was able to be put into a chair to sit up for a couple of hours.   The most encouraging news is that George is spending a lot more time awake!  His eyes are open and he is able to follow verbal commands.  He can nod 'yes'or shake his head 'no' in response to questions.  I just have to remember not to ask open ended or multi-part questions.  I'm pretty sure George would roll his eyes at me if he could when I ask those kinds of questions.  George will undergo surgery to repair his broken left arm some time this week, and he will begin some simple PT/OT.  
So, this weekend brought progress in his healing.  There is still a long road ahead,  though.  Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.  Please keep them coming.

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

George is continuing to improve, but he is not out of the woods.  He is opening his eyes and he recognizes his family, but he is unable to communicate.  He has had surgery to repair his badly broken left leg and to close his abdomen after exploratory surgery.  This week, he will undergo another surgery to repair his broken left arm.  He is being weaned off of some of the medications, and he has been stepping down the support on the ventilator.  He is receiving excellent care here at Christiana, and we hope to keep seeing improvement each day.  
George’s Story

Site created on August 18, 2018

George was out for a motorcycle ride on the night of Wednesday, August 15th, when he was hit by a Chevy Silverado truck at the intersection of Route 273 and Appleby road. He was wearing his helmet and Kevlar jacket, but the driver of the truck did not see him and hit him at full speed on his left side. A nearby officer was at the scene quickly and an ambulance followed soon after. He suffered significant injuries and underwent treatment at Christiana Care Hospital. He underwent rehab at  Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital.  He returned home, and had another surgery on his leg in December.  He is awaiting several more surgeries on his arm .