Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

Hello Friends, 
It's been a while.  George has been working hard to regain function.  Some things are going very well.  George's left leg is regaining strength and flexibility, which is great.  He is working to strengthen his right arm ad leg, which have been weakened by the brain injury he suffered in the accident. He can walk with a walker, or, when he's feeling bold, with a cane.  He is still shaky, but he is walking!

 His left arm has not progressed as much.  As a result of the injury to George's left arm, he will have several more surgeries to try to regain function.  We have been lucky to have been referred to Dr. Zagar at Penn Medicine.  We're hoping that, with his help, George will regain some function in his left arm.
To that end, George will undergo surgery at Penn on March 7. The doctor will do a nerve graft to try to help George use his left arm.  Any and all prayers and good wishes are requested.  It's hard to function with only one arm, and we are hoping that this and the subsequent surgeries will help George's left arm work again.
As always, our family thanks you all for the love, prayers and support.  We are so grateful.  
Please send good thoughts and prayers as we embark on this next phase of George's recovery.

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

Hello All,
So, here is a quick update on what's going on with George's recovery from the injuries sustained in the accident.  George's last surgery seemed to go well.  I say  'seemed" because we won't know the outcome for several (6-9) months.  Nerves regenerate really slowly, so it will take that long to find out what function George will regain in his bicep.  Today he had preoperative testing for the next surgery, which will take place on April 25.  The next procedure will attempt to connect functioning nerves from the tricep and scapula to the shoulder.  George currently has subluxation (a partial dislocation) of the left shoulder due to the brachial plexus injury.  The hope is that these procedures will allow George's shoulder to move back into place eventually, and will also allow him to be able to lift his arm to the side.  Again, there is no guarantee of success, but we are grateful his surgeon at Penn has the expertise and creativity to perform this kind of operation.  Results will not be clear for six months or more for this surgery, too.  

As for his other injuries, his badly broken left leg has healed nicely.  He is walking much better now, although he is unsteady because of the lingering after effects of his brain and spinal cord injuries.  As time goes on, we are hoping that the weakness, pins and needles feeling, and shaky balance will diminish.  But it's a victory that he is walking with a cane now.  Since the weather is getting better, George has been able to go outside more, which has been good for his morale.

On another note, today is our 25th wedding anniversary!  Doing preoperative testing at Penn was  not originally our plan for celebration (we were thinking Vegas), but we did manage to have a nice lunch outside on this beautiful day and spend some time together.  And, most important, George is still here and able to celebrate with me.

If you have a moment, please pray for the success of this upcoming surgery.  We really want George to get the use of his arm back.  As always, thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

Hello Everyone,
Today George is having another surgery on his left arm/shoulder.  He’s having two nerve grafts that will hopefully give him some movement back in his arm. The surgery should last about five hours. 
Please pray for the success of this procedure. It will be about six months before we know if the procedure is successful and how much movement he will regain. 
Please also pray that he doesn’t have too much pain after the surgery.  Hes really tired of post op pain. 
I’ll update again after surgery.  Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. 

Journal entry by Theresa Jensen

One year ago today our family was having a normal end-of-summer day.  George went to work, Connor started high school soccer tryouts, and Tara and I headed into school to decorate my classroom for the upcoming school year.  It was a completely normal day, until it suddenly wasn't.  The weather cooled off a little in the evening, so George decided to take a short motorcycle ride.  At a little after nine, our home phone rang.  I looked at the caller ID, expecting to see an unknown number or a spam call, but instead I saw that the call was from Christiana Hospital.  When I answered, a man with a quiet voice and a soft accent told me that George had been in an accident.  All he could tell me was that George had been responsive at the scene of the accident, and that I should come quickly to the hospital.  And so began the most difficult year we have faced as a family.

One year later, we are still adjusting to our new normal.  George has made incredible progress.  He is walking pretty well, and is hoping to get back to work very soon. He continues with physical and occupational therapy to try to make progress with the lingering effects of his injuries.   It will still be some time before we know how much function he will regain in his left arm, but he is seeing small but encouraging indications that his arm is experiencing some activation in the damaged areas.  We have high hopes that he will continue to make gains in his recovery.

There is no adequate way for us to thank all of the people who helped us to navigate this year.  My children demonstrated maturity beyond their years as they helped us cope as a family and stepped up to take on new roles and responsibilities.  Family members and close friends provided us invaluable support as they kept vigil with us in the hospital and continued to call and visit as days stretched into months.  Newark Charter's soccer family stepped up to provide us support that helped me to make sure we could eat and shop for our needs despite long days in the hospital, and they always made sure Connor had rides and was taken care of when I could not be there.  My Newark Charter colleagues stepped up to make sure my classes were taken care of ( special shout-out to Dan for honoring the pact), and they supported me every step of the way last year.   George's work family at Edgecraft showed incredible support and concern for George and our whole family.  Friends helped us with everything from hemming pants for Connor so he was ready to start high school, to mowing our lawn when I couldn't even think about how to make that happen, to moving Tara into her dorm as she started her Freshman year of college.  Facebook messages from old friends, texts of encouragement, phone calls,  meals dropped off when I had no time to cook, etc. all helped us to survive this year. 

Perhaps most of all, the prayers and well wishes from so many people helped us know that we were loved and that we had many people asking God to watch over us.  

We will never be able to say thank you enough times to convey our gratitude.  We have been humbled by the outpouring of support. 

One year ago today, I did not know whether George would live. While he  is still making progress in his recovery, it is amazing to see the gains he has made and the strength he has gained. Please continue to keep us in your prayers.
Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
George’s Story

Site created on August 18, 2018

George was out for a motorcycle ride on the night of Wednesday, August 15th, when he was hit by a Chevy Silverado truck at the intersection of Route 273 and Appleby road. He was wearing his helmet and Kevlar jacket, but the driver of the truck did not see him and hit him at full speed on his left side. A nearby officer was at the scene quickly and an ambulance followed soon after. He suffered significant injuries and underwent treatment at Christiana Care Hospital. He underwent rehab at  Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital.  He returned home, and had another surgery on his leg in December.  He is awaiting several more surgeries on his arm .