September 29, 2020
Our Ellen Ruth Gosselink Cochran, faithful follower of Jesus, wife, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, friend, violinist, student and teacher, agate hunter, world traveler, and lover of life, died today at 12:35 p.m. My dad, Julie and I were with her and blessed her last moments holding her hands and reciting the Lord's Prayer. Fittingly, a Bach Partita was playing in the background.
My dad was reading Psalm 143 from The Message immediately before she started her final passage. These verses stood out to him and he wanted to share them with you:
If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice, I'll go to sleep each night trusting in You.
There aren't words for this experience. Nor are there words that adequately express how your love and kindness have supported the four of us and our families. Without knowing it, you have been clearing and leveling the way.
Help Ellen Stay Connected to Family and Friends
A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers a site like Ellen's for one month. Your donation to CaringBridge will help keep this site online for them—and for you. And today only, in honor of Giving Tuesday, your gift can be doubled thanks to a generous gift from the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation.
Make your gift in honor of Ellen before midnight tonight!
- Sharon LoganStill holding you all in my prayers as you grieve.10/6/20
- Kimberly StowellMy deepest sympathy to all who Ellen touched in her amazing life. I consider myself very blessed to have run into her by happenstance at a bridal fair. That one meeting, while ideally was one of a personal nature as I planned my wedding, also carved a career path for me. I'll never forget how happy she was to hear at that wedding fair that I planned to be a middle school science teacher. And I will be forever grateful that she opened her classroom up to me to do my student teaching. I am at the same school to this day. And, she forever blessed my husband and I by agreeing to have the quartet play at our wedding. She will forever hold a place in my heart. ❤10/5/20
- Kelley KnappMy deepest sympathy to Dick, Caryn, Julie and the rest of your family as you grieve the loss of your precious Ellen. I thank God for Ellen as my life has been blessed beyond measure by knowing her.10/2/20
- Kelley KnappOur dear Ellen, such a bright and beautiful light, is now home in glory with her Lord and Savior, Jesus.10/2/20
- Gloria YostEllen was a very special and multi-talented lady who's love of life enriched us all. Though I am sad and will miss her, and am glad she's now at peace. Thinking of you all.9/30/20
- Roger KleinhekselPraise God for his victory and promises for Ellen and all of us who live in Jesus Christ. Our prayers for God’s strength , comfort and peace surround the family!9/30/20
- Mary ByrneHeaven is a better place with Aunt Ellen as an angel, but we are sad here. She was blessed to have her loving family be with her. We love you all and pray you find comfort in your memories of her in the coming days. Our hearts are breaking for you.9/30/20
- Connie BrownMy heart weeps for all of you. Our world has lost one of its finest people, but her spirit will live on forever. May you find comfort knowing she is in God’s hands.9/30/20
- patti van der kampGod bless you all at this time, we’ll truly miss her Patti and Carl VanDerKamp9/30/20
- Caroline LindleyGod bless you all. You all will continue to be in my prayers. A huge hole is now in our world. I loved Ellen and will miss her terribly. So sad.9/30/20
- Kendria LeBeauI'm so sorry for your loss. I served along side Ellen in BSF Leadership for a number of years. I will always carry with me the memories of her generosity during the holidays when she opened up her house so we could have a time of fellowship, her love of music and how beautifully she played the violin, her love for God which shone through her ministry in shepherding women and her sense of humor. She was a woman of Godly wisdom and her wisdom left a lasting impression on my life when during a conversation around temptation she painted a picture using how a violin works to bring a deeper richness to the discussion. It's a conversation I have never forgotten and share with others. I pray your family feels God presence, love and embrace as you grieve your loss. God Bless9/30/20
- Nina VigilWe were all blessed by having Ellen in our lives, and also all 3 of you. God be with you. Our hearts break.9/30/20
- Barbara StockingThank you for sharing this difficult journey with us. Ellen was deeply loved by so many and shared with us the gift of music. The hymn that came to my mind was Abide with Me. Ellen is now perfectly abiding in Christ's presence. But it is never easy to say that final goodbye. While we rejoice for Ellen we know that loss brings pain and we will continue to lift you up in prayer.9/30/20
- Susan StegengaShe has arrived safely Home in her beloved Holy City 🌈🦋 joining her loved ones already there...🎼🎶🎻 Now she is playing her music with the heavenly chorus...We will miss you deeply, Ellen, until the day we are all reunited. Prayers are with your dear family....Much love always, 💕 The Stegenga/Ward families9/29/20
- Beth ConklinThe beautiful and worshipful and inspirational song, "I Can Only Imagine" was on the radio this morning as I was listening. I imagine our beautiful Ellen kneeling at the feet of Jesus, smiling from ear to ear as only she could do, and hearing His words, "Well done, good and faithful servant." We will miss Ellen tremendously here on Glenroy Way; things will never be the same with her gone. But Ross and I are SO grateful that we got to know her and be loved on by her over these past 24 years. Her immense love of music, along with her joyful sharing of it, was so meaningful to us, both musicians ourselves. The world has lost a beautiful bright light that shone into SO many lives and no doubt brought others to the powerful knowledge of the saving grace of Jesus Christ. But we cannot withhold Ellen's "flying away to Glory" from her, nor would we want to. Our prayers are for Dick, Caryn, Julie, and all the other family members. The posts that have been shared, first by Ellen herself, and most recently by Dick and Caryn, have truly touched our hearts deeply. We love Ellen and will always love her, until the day we see her again! I'm sure she'll be first chair in the heavenly violin orchestra! Praise God that we do not mourn as those who have no hope.9/29/20
- Beth ByrneTO THE THREE OF YOU, PSALM 23...''HE MAKES ME LIE DOWN IN GREEN PASTURES, HE LEADS ME BESIDE STILL WATERS, HE RESTORES MY SOUL.'' THE GOOD SHEPHERD WILL WATCH OVER ALL OF US. Sister Beth9/29/20
- Owen JohnsonShe will be dearly missed.9/29/20
- Pam AdcockOur prayers have been answered and she is home safe. Thank you for sharing her with me. She was a blessing from day one to Roger and me and I'm so grateful9/29/20
- Glen Van MuydenGod bless your wonderful family. We will miss Ellen and treasure having known her. May God's love overwhelm you all!! Hermie and Larry (Ellie may meet Glen in heaven!)9/29/20