Clifford’s Story

Site created on June 22, 2018

On June 2nd, Dad had a significant stroke on the left side of his brain, leaving him paralyzed on the right side. A CT showed no brain bleed, so we were able to give him a major blood thinning shot that would possibly reverse the effects of the stroke. It has over a 90% reversal rate and less than 3 % chance of making him bleed out some where. Neither were the case for Dad. On June 3rd, Dad had a seizure. They began anti- seizure meds and he has not had another seizure since. Praise the Lord. He slept for 4 or 5 days. Not very responsive or alert. They told us his brain was swelling and it took 4 to 5 days for the swelling to go down. During this time he developed pneumonia. Antibiotics and breathing treatments were started. So we’re into our second week by now and he is starting to wake up and eat and talk. First couple of days with a slur but then clear speech. He knew all of us and was very good with his long term memory but short term comes and goes as he gets over tired. There were hallucinating and confusion and what they call sundowners but most of that has subsided now. Praise the Lord. They started trying to get him to set up and brought occupational therapy and speech therapy in. Up to now he had been in Ochiltree Hospital in Perryton. On Wednesday, June 20th, they told us Dad needed therapy everyday for physical, occupational, and speech and they were not able to provide that in Perryton. On Thursday, June 21st we moved Dad to BSA Rehab in Amarillo. They hit the ground rolling with him. It was amazing to see how they worked with him today, Friday. As I watched my Dad lift his right hand and arm for the first time in Three weeks brought tears to my eyes. We have a long road ahead, but after seeing him work today in physical therapy our family has hope. Please continue to pray for my Dad’s complete healing. God is so good and he is the Devine healer. 

Newest Update

Journal entry by Christi Cook Smith

Sorry we haven’t posted in a while. Dads sodium is back up and his mind is clear. He is eating and smiling. We moved him to Twin Oakes Manor in Booker today. None of us want him there, but it’s what us to be for now. He will receive some therapy there and hopefully get his legs built back up and more use of his hands. Dad told us, “It is what it is and we have to do what we have to do. I don’t like it, but what else are we going to do?” So that has made it easier a little for all of us. Please pray for strength and for his body to be renewed so he can come home. He is trapped in a body that doesn’t work anymore.
Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Clifford Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers Clifford's site for one month. Will you make a gift to help ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.