Clay’s Story

Site created on August 19, 2019

Welcome to the Caring Bridge website for Clay Reed. We are using it to keep everyone updated on his journey as he faces his second cancer diagnosis.  Our family welcomes (and asks for) your prayers, support, and words of hope and encouragement as we hop on this roller coaster for a second time. Thank you for visiting.  Following is his story:

On August 5, 2019, our Dad, Clay Reed, was told that he had a large mass, consistent with carcinoma, in the upper lobe of his right lung.  A CT scan on August 7th confirmed the tumor, but the first biopsy on August 9th proved to be inconclusive on whether or not the tumor was benign or malignant.  After a week during which he had an MRI of his brain, a PET scan, and a 2nd biopsy, on August 26, Dad was officially diagnosed with Stage 2B, non-metastatic adenocinoma .  Thankfully, it is contained to the lung! Dad is strong and determined to beat cancer for a second time. 

On August 14, 2001, Dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer.  After some radiation, chemo, many prayers, and God's power, he was declared cured.  Since, he has used his experience to help numerous other cancer patients through their own difficult times.  He has lived each day with the motto, "Every day is a blessing."  We encourage you to adopt this motto and make your world a better place each day!

~Trey and Barry Reed

Newest Update

Journal entry by Barry Reed

Dad was discharged from Baptist early this afternoon. Trey's wife, Angie, picked him up and took him immediately to CARTI for radiation mask refitting, an MRI for marking, and a visit with Dr. Gao about the plan for SBRT on his brain. He will have a couple of SBRT treatments starting next week. Dr. Gao told Dad that neither of the remaining tumors has grown since the last MRI two weeks ago. Praise God for that answer to prayers! After his appointment, Angie drove Dad home to Russellville. 

He is on oxygen and will be at least until he finishes the brain treatments. He is, and has been, on a strong steroid as part of the treatment protocol for the brain tumors. Dr. Sneed said that, unfortunately, the steroid can, and almost assuredly did, cause Dad's pneumonia. Once he's done with the brain treatments, he will wean off the steroid and start chemo at some point after that. He has an appointment next week with Dr. Sneed to discuss the chemo protocol.
Dad is tired and a little weak, but that's to be expected after a week and a half in the hospital. He says he feels better everyday, and he remains in good spirits.. We, especially Mom, are glad that he is home, and we are grateful for your ceaseless, fervent prayers for Dad and our family!

Every day is a blessing! 

Patients and caregivers love hearing from you; add a comment to show your support.
Help Clay Stay Connected to Family and Friends

A $30 donation to CaringBridge powers Clay's site for one month. Will you make a gift to help ensure that this site stays online for them and for you?

Show Your Support

See the Ways to Help page to get even more involved.