Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

Alyssa tolerated her 2 days of high dose Cytoxin (chemo drug) pretty well. Unfortunately, the second drug she is getting, ATG, is kicking her butt.  She has had a pretty severe allergic reaction...entire body covered in hives.  Also temperature is spiking and blood pressure keeps dropping. She has finished 2 days (2 bags) already, with one bag left.  The doctor has decided instead of the bag running over the normal 8 hours, they are going to half the rate, which doubles the time to 16 hours.  Then he wants a day in between before transplant day. So, bottom line, Day Zero, just got moved back to Wednesday.  A bit disappointing but rather safe than sorry on this. Alyssa is hanging in there, tough as nails but the last 48 hours has really been hard on her.

Eric spent about 5-6 hours at the infusion center today.  He will most likely be needed to go back tomorrow for addional donation.  Everything has gone pretty smoothly on his end.  Just some aches and joint pain from the neupogen shots.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

This week has been both uneventful and remarkable at the same time.  She finished a total of 12 rounds of radiation (4 on her brain and 8 total body) and got to “ring the bell”. For those of you who don’t know, in the cancer world, anytime a patient hits a milestone in treatment, they ring the bell to mark the moment and celebrate.  So her first bell ringing in regards to finishing radiation was a big deal.  Today (Saturday) also marks the start of her last ever round of chemo 🙏🏻🙏🏻.  Today and tomorrow she will receive extremely high doses of a drug called cytoxin.  She will also receive over the next 3 days a drug called ATG.  ATG is given to patients to help prevent something called Host vs. Graft disease (HVG)  that is when Alyssa’s body would attack her new stem cells, thinking that they are a foreign body.  The condition is fairly common for BMT patients, but it varies in its severity.  With the last radiation treatment, that was also her last chance to leave her room for probably 3-4 weeks.  Her care here has been fantastic and the nurses are as awesome as the ones on 5east at Norton’s back home.  What kind of sucks is the actual room.  Very basic hospital room, on the fairly small side with one small window that looks directly into the side of the building.  If you’re only here for a couple of days, no biggie.  But when you are literally captive in a room with no natural light for almost a month, it can start to wear on you (well, on me at least) I did make a request to get her in a room on the other side of the hall where you can actually see daylight.  The nurse just came in to tell us they might have one available later today.  I got all excited and Alyssa just looks at me and tells me I’m high maintenance.  Oh well.  

She did get to see a new face yesterday (and today). Taylor made it up here around 4pm but she kinda of slept through his visit.  He’s on his way back up to her room shortly, so hopefully she can stay awake for this visit.  Ben is suppose to be here tomorrow. I think some new faces will cheer her up, if she’s not feeling too sick.  God knows she’s sick of my face lol.

Keep the prayers coming. We are on Day -3.  Transplant Day (Day Zero) is on for Tuesday February 19th.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

Alyssa got settled into her new digs this afternoon.  The BMT room/unit will be her home away from home for at least the next 30 days.  She was informed at admission that because she is starting total body radiation tomorrow, she will be confined to her room until probably 2 weeks after transplant, when her numbers start to get back in the safe zone.  I think that was a bit of a shock to her...we both thought she’d have the freedom to at least roam the hospital until her actual transplant.  The one bright spot was the food...the kitchen operates “on demand” meaning she basically can order whatever she wants off the menu, whenever she’s hungry and they’ll deliver it to her room.  The menu looks decent...quesadillas, spaghetti, Skyline Coneys...a lot of bar food with a few healthy options thrown in.  If only we could get a pitcher of beer delivered with the wings, we’d be in business. Eric and I will trade off sleeping here at the hospital when he’s up here.  We were able to get a hotel room close by, so at least the two of us are able to step out and get away from the hospital for a few hours. She’s still sore from surgery last week, but overall not too bad.  Have no idea what this radiation is going to do to her body moving forward but she’s ready to get this process started.

Her last weekend home was a good one.  We had a big family/friends dinner at Porcini’s on Saturday night and Mike and Vicki hosted a small sendoff party for her yesterday.  The only person missing that she really wanted to see was Jared, but unfortunately he was traveling with basketball.  There really won’t be any visitors except maybe her two brothers until she gets discharged.  They are pretty strict in regards to exposure to others and the potential for illness.  I will try to give updates as the week progresses, counting down to Day Zero-Transplant Day.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

Alyssa had a really tough day today.  We arrived in Cincinnati at 9am for her first radiation treatment on her brain.  Because she had some leukemia cells in her spinal fluid when she was diagnosed, (but none since starting chemo 5 months ago) to be on the safe side they wanted to do 4 rounds of radiation on her brain.  She was fitted last week for this “mask” that she wears during radiation.  She described as a piece of mesh that they heated up and then molded it to her face.  It fits extremely tight to her tight that when she was done the mesh marks remained on her forehead for several hours. She has to lay flat, pinned to the table and her head is tied down as well so that she can’t move at all.  I cannot imagine how claustrophobic that must’ve felt.  She took a couple of Ativan prior to the appointment, but not sure that helped to relax her much.  The treatment itself only lasted a few minutes, thank God. After that we headed over to the hospital, she was getting 3 surgical procedures done, one of which was inserting a new central line in her chest.  This takes the place of her picc line that was pulled out of her arm in the recovery room.  The surgery was outpatient so we are now back in our hotel room here in Cincinnati.  She is wiped out...literally fell back asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.  My heart is breaking for her right now.  She’s been so strong so far and she still has such a tough road ahead of her.  Please keep her in your prayers, these next few weeks are going to be really hard on her.  

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

I’m writing this entry in a waiting room at Cincinnati Children’s hospital and medical center, which going forward I will refer to it as CCHMC.  We arrived around 9am to start the 2 days of pre-transplant testing for both Eric and Alyssa.  Eric’s part was fairly easy...medical history and then donating about 5 gallons of blood for testing.  Alyssa also had to donate generously to the blood pool, then Echocardiogram, EKG, pulmonary function tests, a six minute walk, and now we are waiting on her to do a CT scan.  Tomorrow is kidney function tests and measuring her for head and body for the radiation she will start receiving next Wednesday. Being the rock star she is, I have no doubt she is one of the healthiest sick kids they have seen in awhile. She honestly hasn’t looked or felt this good in a long time.  Unfortunately, this bone marrow transplant (BMT) is no walk in the park and I both dread and celebrate what this procedure will mean for her.  

I started thinking about time in increments of 2 weeks ...the 2 weeks before she was diagnosed and we were running around Europe without a care in the world.  The 2 weeks spent in the hospital after her cancer diagnosis. The 2 weeks where we had to wait for her numbers to get high enough for a biopsy.  The 2 weeks from now when she will start the transplant process.  The 2 weeks from “Day Zero” (when she receives her stem cells from Eric) that we will wait for engraftment, telling us that she is on her way to recovery.  If I just break it down in days or weeks at a time, the transplant becomes more manageable.

Looking ahead, months from now, when this transplant is over with and I envision my beautiful sweet daughter healthy again...I want to see that time in increments of years and years, and her being able to resume the life she was meant to have.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

After 3 rounds of chemo and 1 round of immunotherapy, we FINALLY heard the word we’ve been waiting for.  ALYSSA IS IN REMISSION! Things will move pretty quickly at this point.  She (and Eric) have pre-transplant testing this Thursday and Friday.  She will start the conditioning phase for her transplant around February 11.  This entails 5-7 days of very high dose chemo and total body radiation.  The goal is to completely destroy the immune system, make absolutely sure there’s no trace of the cancer and prepare her body for her new stem cells.  

Thank you everyone for your prayers, and keep them coming. They are working. 

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

It appears that many of you may have heard by now that Alyssa has found a donor for her bone marrow transplant. This journal entry may get more technical than you care to read about and I can guarantee that I will not get all the facts correct, but here’s my best shot...Yesterday we had a conference call with her transplant doctor, Dr. Nelson, where he told us about her donor.  To recap, back in October, our entire family was DNA tested.  The obvious ideal donor would have been one of her 2 brothers.  We found out rather quickly that neither one of them was a full match. She was immediately placed on the national registry to find an unrelated donor.  Multiple donor drives, primarily at WKU, were held for her, to increase the odds of her finding a perfect match.  A perfect match is when the donor matches on all 10 of the human leukocyte antigens (HLAs) of the recipient.  The odds of finding a 10/10 are DNA specific, and certain ethnicities have a higher probability of finding a perfect match.  Caucasians of European descent have the highest probability of a match simply because there are more people with that ethnic background that have registered. Shortly after Alyssa got on the registry we were told they had found at least 2 possible donors, both of which were 9/10 matches.  Not perfect, but according to her doctor, close enough to move forward with the transplant plans.  Before going to transplant, they ideally want Alyssa in remission.  This has proven to be a bit tougher than normal in her case.  While her cancer was responsive to 3 rounds of chemo, it was still not in remission.  On December 26th, she started a 28 day round of immunotherapy. She will get a bone marrow biopsy on January 24th. Prayers that this drug will finally put her in remission.  If she’s not, they will repeat another 28 days on the drug.  Because Alyssa’s cancer has been hard to treat, they are looking at every option to give her the best odds of a cure through the transplant.  There have been a number of recent studies, especially one that just was published last month, that show a related (family member) “haplo” (meaning only a half match) is a better option than a non-matched, unrelated donor.  In fact, the results from this study show that the outcome was just as good with a Haplo donor as it was with a 10/10 match.  So, since she still doesn’t have a 10/10 match, and her transplant could possibly happen in the next 3 weeks, they need to move forward with the best option they have.  Alyssa’s “Haplo” match isn’t one of her’s her dad.  And if you were not expecting to read that, well, needless to say, we weren’t too prepared either.  In some weird, DNA themed plot twist, her dad is actually an 8/10 match for her.  In theory this is obviously even better than a 5/10 match (which is what would happen in probably 99% of a non-matched family member).  When I asked how a parent could be more than a 50% match... the answer was “you and Eric have some of the same typing.  So each of you gave her half, but some of the ones you gave her, Eric also has”.   The first concern we had about the donation is Eric’s age. (He’s 57 next month). Dr. Nelson assured us that they can “filter” his stem cells and that it won’t be an issue. (You actually stay on the registry until you turn 60).  So Eric will join Alyssa in 2 weeks up at Cincinnati Children’s to undergo pre-transplant testing. I can’t tell you why we didn’t know earlier about him being an 8/10 match.  All I know now is that her entire transplant team agrees that this is the best route to go.  I can’t speak for Eric, but while I know he is thrilled to have the honor of being her donor, he’s nervous about his part if the outcome is anything less than a cure.  


Honestly, when I think about the last 5 months, it only makes sense that it would end up this way.  For those of you that personally know Alyssa and Eric, you must know how alike they are. Their competitiveness, athleticism, the “I’m not here to talk about my feelings” ...they are literally the same person.  So, we hopefully move forward with this transplant next month and pray that these doctors know what they are doing. I’ve never felt more out of control, but yet I have to trust that God has this one.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

Things have been pretty quiet since our New Years Eve emergency room run.  Alyssa had a minor incident about 4 days ago when she felt some numbness and then got a really bad headache.  She was able to shut her pump off for about 30 minutes, enough time for the symptoms to subside. The deal with this drug is, that you can’t “dial down” the dose on the home pump and she can’t be off the medicine for more than an hour or two, or she would have to start the whole 28 day round again.  When Dr. Maly suggested doing just that on Thursday, it was met with a rousing “OH HELL NO”. She was 16 days in at that point.  My only worry now is that she will try and downplay any possible future incidents, not wanting to interrupt the 28 day regime.  Hopefully, that was the last of the side effects. Her energy and appetite have been good.  She only has to go in once a week to the office for lab work.  The one benefit of this drug (besides hopefully getting her into remission) is that it doesn’t affect her blood counts, so WBC, hemoglobin, and platelets have all been great.

We are both starting to go a bit stir crazy in the house.  It helps to have at least one errand to run, or find some reason to get out.  Only 9 days left on the Blincyto and then I have a feeling things are going to start moving quickly with the transplant. We have a conference call scheduled tomorrow with her transplant team to talk about her donor.  I have no idea what that means exactly...we’ve been given an early indication that a donor was found but so far they have been very tight-lipped with any other information. The bone marrow donor drives associated with Alyssa at WKU, UK, and Purdue registered almost 700 new people, a pretty impressive number.  If a donor has been found for Alyssa, I’m praying that folks will still return their kits, especially for potential minority donors, which are desperately needed.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

10 days in now on new drug and I finally think we are over the hump.  It was a very rough start...5 days in the hospital and an ER visit just 9 hours after discharge will keep you on your toes.  We seem to be managing the IV bag change easily (mainly because Alyssa does all the work and I just “plug in” the medicine) The pump for this is a little bigger than anticipated and she carries it around in a shoulder bag that she has affectionately named “Stan Jr”, as he goes everywhere with her. (The original Stan, short for stand, was her IV pole bag that she pushed everywhere in the hospital for 2 weeks when she first got diagnosed).  I’m honestly not sure how many 22 year olds would still be making jokes about the situation she is in.  She has faced everything this disease has thrown at her, and still kept her sense of humor and fighting spirit.  Alyssa continues to do normal things, like shopping, getting her nails done, and a night out with her girlfriends. She knows her days of freedom, before this transplant, are dwindling and her intentions are to take full advantage of her time outside the hospital while she can.

She will finish this round of treatment on January 22.  Biopsy in Cincinnati is scheduled for January 24.  I have a feeling her pre-transplant testing will start the week of January 28 (not scheduled as of yet). That will entail multiple tests over 2 days to make sure kidneys, liver, lungs, etc are working great and can handle the stress of the transplant. If it’s one thing we've heard over and over, it’s that Alyssa is one of the healthiest patients they’ve seen.  So that is definitely going to be to her benefit as she continues this process to get better.

On another note, we found “temporary housing” for Hope.  I know it sounds silly, but I was really stressing out about what we were going to do with this dog while we were in Cincinnati.  My brother Chris and sister-in-law Terri have very graciously offered to take Hope in.  They already have a pit-mix rescue (Gary lol love that name), a large fenced backyard and the ability to love and care for another dog.  Once again, my circle of support has answered the call and taken something off my plate.  

And speaking of support...I had one of the oddest interactions with someone last night.  I say odd only because I don’t know a better word to use when a stranger randomly pops into your evening and for the first time, in a long time, I felt a sense of peace. Alyssa has her IV medicine delivered to the house, and the delivery person was coming by last night to bring her the next several days worth of medicine.  This older (45-50ish) attractive woman came to the door.  I let her inside so she could set the box down and I could sign for the medicine.  She starts talking about how much she likes our neighborhood and that she once looked at moving out here, 10 years ago.  She continued that her life had taken a turn 3 years ago when she became the recipient of a heart transplant. No previous warning she was that sick, she had just ended up in the hospital ER with congestive heart failure and was told without a transplant she would die. It took 3 months to find a donor and during the procedure, she said she died/coded out 3 times on the operating table.  Since then, she says, she has this clarity about things and feels like she has seen heaven and lived because she still is needed here on earth for whatever reason.  She also went on about life being a series of “non-coincidences”...that random things happen all the time that don’t make sense now, but will later. After hearing her story, I told her that my daughter was recently diagnosed with leukemia and was getting a bone marrow transplant in the next month (no idea what possessed me to tell this to a total stranger).  Alyssa, who was sitting right inside the family room watching TV, was visible to this woman standing by our door.  She asked if she could meet her.  She introduces herself and starts to tell Alyssa that she senses things are going to be alright, that she will be OK and that this is maybe happening because Alyssa has a platform that she can use to help others down the road.  Believe me, the whole interaction was about as crazy as it sounds, but for some reason I start crying (which if you know me, is a rare occurrence) and I just felt, I don’t know...calm, relieved? Maybe I’m so desperate for someone/anyone to tell me this is going to be OK that I just hung on to every word she was saying?? Alyssa felt it too though and continued to talk to her for a few more minutes.  The whole interaction lasted probably less than 15 minutes.  Maybe the woman was a total kook, who knows? But I can’t help but wonder how this person ended up on MY front porch at night in a pouring rainstorm.  Maybe everything is a “non-coincidence” and maybe God just knew Alyssa and I both needed someone to tell us everything is going to be alright.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

Well, the new drug (immunotherapy, not chemotherapy) really kicked her butt.  I don’t think any of her doctors saw this coming, based on her previous tolerance of chemotherapy.  Alyssa was admitted Wednesday afternoon and started the IV around 6pm.  By early the next morning, we knew something wasn’t right.  She was completely lethargic, nauseous, and feverish.  The IV drip needs to flow at a certain rate to deliver enough medicine (in this case 10ml). They started the drip at this rate but by Thursday morning had to back it down to 5. She spent the entire day Thursday asleep.  Friday she was much, much better.  Plan was made to discharge her the next day.  So, the IV was dialed back up. Saturday...another disastrous day.  Completely wiped out and nauseous again.  So....back down goes the IV flow.  Again, another day spent sleeping.  She started to rebound a bit around Saturday evening.  Plan was made for discharge on Sunday.  Saturday evening they dialed the flow back up...this time in very small increments. Sunday morning she was tolerating the IV at 8.  However, the decision was made (and rightly so) to keep her another day. By Sunday evening she was back up to 10. It’s now Monday and she been at 10ml for almost 16 hours.  She feels good, just very tired.  Her counts are good, and she feels good.  She is being discharged here shortly.  The home health agency should be up to her room soon to show us what needs to be done to manage this 24/7 pump on our own.  Our plan is to spend NYE at the lake.  She has Jared coming, along with Jess and Amara.  It will be a quiet dinner and hopefully she will start getting her energy back.  I think being out of the hospital will help her mood tremendously. She will be monitored weekly and of course Eric and I will be keeping a very close eye on her.

On a separate note, I did find an apartment in Cincinnati for post transplant living.  I ended up finding a place on Airbnb that was reasonable, pet friendly, and the guy was willing to work with me on dates. THANK YOU everyone who reached out to me, trying to help me find a place.  Your concern is greatly appreciated.

I will sign off for now, and will hopefully have a positive and happy update in a few days.

Journal entry by Leslie Cavanaugh

First round of chemo in the books and Alyssa did great.  No signs of any nausea or extreme fatigue. She decided to go public with her fight and the outpouring of support has been overwhelming.  Please keep the positive messages coming, especially if you or someone you know is a leukemia survivor.  
Alyssa’s Story

Site created on September 7, 2018

Our beautiful 22 year old daughter was diagnosed on 9/5/18 with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). She is a recent WKU grad where she played volleyball for 4 years, leaving WKU as their  most decorated female athlete ever. Alyssa is a fierce competitor and fighter.  We know with God’s grace and her tough attitude, she will see her way through this journey.