i should know by now not too get too excited about good news. Less than 24 hours after my last post, Alyssa was in the emergency room. The night before she started vomiting, about 1-2 hours after her dinner. She had been perfectly fine the entire day. The exact same thing happened to her the week before...perfectly fine, and then about an hour after she ate dinner, starts to feel really nauseous, and ends up with diarrhea and vomiting. The difference the second time is, she was running a slight fever, which can signal bigger issues. So, we go to ER. By the time we actually got there (after phone calls and delays), she was feeling 100% better and no fever. Didn’t matter though, they wanted to see her regardless. And after 5 hours, and finding nothing wrong with her, they sent us home. My whacked out theory is she had an allergic reaction to what she ate. The common denominator in both instances was shrimp. Not sure the doctors buy into my theory, and there’s no way to test her with her immune system so screwed up, but I’m sticking to my guns.
One of the many labs she has done each week is a mouth swab. This is done to test for 4 main viruses. Unfortunately this past week she tested positive for the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV). Her doctor was not surprised and said most BMT patients will end up with at least 1 of the 4. Luckily she doesn’t feel bad...just a little tired. This is the virus that causes mono, so it makes sense (she does not have mono) Her counts increased pretty dramatically in just a few days so she is now on a drug called Rituximab. She can receive up to 4 doses weekly through an IV infusion. She got her first dose yesterday. They’ll do counts each Thursday to see if she needs to be infused on Friday. This may screw up our plans for a clean break on the 31st, but Alyssa was going to have a pep talk with her body and convince it that next Friday needs to be it. I’ll keep you posted on that one.
Alyssa has several tests scheduled next week, in anticipation of her official “post 100 day” release. The biggest one is probably her bone marrow biopsy on Wednesday. Prayers that she remains in remission and cancer free.
It’s going to to be bittersweet leaving our little house in Cincinnati. I really have grown to like it up here. So much has happened since we arrived 4 months ago. As much as I was dreading the move up here, it’s turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I know now that there would have been no way to keep her so isolated in Louisville after her discharge. This was just the right distance to keep her in a “safe” environment and allow Eric to commute back and forth to Louisville. Our new life after cancer awaits.