Wayne Miller

First post: Dec 7, 2016 Latest post: Sep 2, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

I am Vicki, Wayne's daughter, and I will do my best to keep everyone updated. Its hard to know where to begin because so many things have happened extremely fast. Dad had been experiencing back pain for a while and it was increasing becoming more intense to the point he was having difficulty walking . After seeing his family doctor he was referred to an orthopedic physician which he saw on Mon, November 14th.  At that time, an MRI was performed which revealed tumors on his spine. He was immediately referred to an oncologist which saw him on Thurs, Nov. 17th.  The oncologist contacted a surgeon which then reviewed dad's MRI scan. At that time they realized the severity of the tumors. The tumors were compressing the spinal cord. The doctors could not believe dad was able to walk and not paralyzed. We are fully aware that this is a "God thing" and we feel so blessed that dad experienced this miracle!

Mom and dad received a call the day following the oncologist appointment stating that the surgeon wanted dad to go to the hospital first thing on Saturday morning, Nov 19th and that he had already been scheduled for emergency surgery on Sunday, Nov 20th. Saturday dad had additional testing and had to be completely flat for fear of paralysis. Dad's attitude was remarkable. He was talking, laughing (or I should say giggling), and joking. He also kept telling everyone how awesome God was and is.

Sunday, Nov 20th was a long day. Dad's surgery lasted 8 hours. The surgeon that performed his surgery was a God-send and we are so thankful for him. After the long surgery had performed he still patiently reviewed the surgery and answered any and all the questions we had. He informed us  he had used rods, bolts, and a cage to make dad a new back. He also told us he was unable to remove all the tumor because it was worse than they had realized. But the good news was that they had used stimulation and he thought dad would have use of his legs. After several hours of waiting we were finally able to see dad in ICU. He was alert, talking, and moving his legs and feet. God is good!

Dad was moved from ICU on Tues to go to the surgical floor. Then by God's grace he was released from the hospital on Thanksgiving. It is so appropriate because even though the news was not what we wanted to hear we were so thankful that he was able to go home and he seemed to be doing so well after all he had been through.

On Mon, Dec 5th dad went back to the oncologist to find the course of treatment. Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer that has metastasized (spread) to the back. He will be having radiation on his back where they could not remove the cancer and  he will also be started on oral medication. He will be seeing the doctor that will be in charge of the radiation on Dec 15th and I will update after that appointment.

We appreciate all the prayers and support of everyone!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Wayne’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register