Vicki Gause Vicki Gause

First post: Jan 19, 2018 Latest post: Jan 23, 2018
Hello everyone, so heres moms story. On Nov. 17th 2017 Vicki had back surgery fusing her L4 and L5 together. The original surgery went well. Then on Dec. 10th 2017 we brought her to Unity Hospital because she was in so much pain. They did some tests there and decided she needed to be transfered to United Hospital where she had her surgery. There we found out that Vicki had gotten an infection and it had spread through her blood stream. So then on December 14th they placed a wound vac in her surgery site. That was placed to basically suck any infection out it could. On Dec. 19th that was removed and we went home on Dec. 21st just in time for Christmas! At home we had in home nurses coming in and out and we also had PT coming and going. Every morning she got two antbiotics and every evening she got one through her Picc line in her arm which was either done by Todd or Meghan. On Sat Jan. 6th we made the decision to bring her back in she was having trouble breathing. We first found out she was full of fluid and we needed to get rid of that. So they started her on a diuretic which for the first day or so worked great she lost 4 pounds of water weight in a 24 hour period. Then over night monday into tuesday they found out moms heart went into AFIB. So they were keeping an eye on that and through medication got the heart to beat normally again. Then we found out mom got dehydrated from the diuretics and her kidneys started to fail. And were no longer responding to the diuretics. So on Monday Jan 15th they put a camera type thing in her main artory of her leg and into her heart. They didnt get the answers they wanted. So on tuesday Jan 16th they went in again and put one on each side of her heart, its then we found out that moms sack that her heart is in is inflamed which is causing her heart to work harder then it should, which also means other parts of her body arent getting the amount of blood flow they need to work properly. So last night she was started on some steroids which will hopefully take some of the inflammation down from that sack and let the blood flow properly. They also started her on an iv diuretic which seems to be working ok. Today they had her on what they call a BiPap machine because her CO2 levels in her body were to high and this machine will help get rid of that extra CO2. I will do my best to keep you all updated from here. Keep the prayers coming for mom she needs them. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Vicki’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register