Vann Ly

Rewind back to January of this year, Vann started having some stomach issues. At first, doctors thought it was lactose intolerance, then maybe parasites. He then got a sigmoidoscopy in early May with biopsy, and also checked for things like Colitis, Crohn’s and CANCER -- everything was negative.  His diagnosis was some inflammation which was leading to constipation. Symptoms (exhaustion, severe weight loss and constipation) continued to get worse.

Then at the end of June, Vann and Elizabeth went on a long weekend vacation to Aruba (their first without kids). From the moment they landed, Vann did not feel well, but he tried to ignore it and enjoy their vacation. Then, on the second to last afternoon there, he started having diarrhea and throwing up…all night. The next day, they had a snorkeling cruise booked. Vann still wanted to power through the excursion.  When they got back, he started experiencing excruciating stomach pains so they rushed to the ER, which luckily was literally across the street from their hotel. At the hospital, they performed a CT scan and found that there may have been a perforation in his lower bowels and would need surgery immediately to fix it. They asked to be med-flighted home for the surgery, but the doctors advised against it, as frankly they didn’t think Vann would make it home in time. What started as an exploratory surgery, turned into a 5 hour Colostomy after a tear was discovered in Vann’s sigmoid.  The surgery was successful and Vann began his recovery with 5 other Arubians in a shared room. He could see their hotel and the beach from his window. On the sixth day of his recovery, the first day he was able to get out of bed and take a few steps on his own, feeling like he finally turned the corner and things were looking good, Vann’s surgeon came in with pathology results that were shattering.  It was determined, from a part of his bowels that was removed for biopsy, that is was a tumor, not just inflammation. The surgeon couldn’t tell them what kind, if it was benign or not, or any other details other than when Vann returned home he would need chemotherapy. The Aruban medical team wanted to send his sample to Holland for further tests.  Vann and Elizabeth intercepted and asked for all of Vann’s medical records and samples so that they could get answers back in the U.S.

After 7 days in the hospital, Vann was discharged and they flew home. Vann had an oncology appointment at Mass General Hospital his first day home.  The next 6 weeks were spent lining up doctors and getting blood draws all while making sure he healed and recovered properly from the surgery.  Further pathology was done and Vann also had a PET and CT scan, which resulted in his diagnosis of Stage IV Colon Cancer that had metastasized to lymph nodes in the abdomen, neck, and one lung.   Having fully recovered from surgery and feeling the best he’d felt in 8 months, this was a devastating blow to Vann and his family.  Within in one week he had a port placed for treatment and began Chemotherapy.  Vann will be continuing his treatments with the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.  He will receive chemo every 2 weeks for the next 3 months when more imaging will be completed and the plan re-evaluated.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Vann’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register