Tyson 4 years post transplant 9-21-13

Tyson Horton Tyson's Story

First post: Jul 12, 2009 Latest post: Apr 19, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We've created it to keep friends and family updated about our son, Tyson. Get started by reading the introduction to his website, My Story.

Visit often to read the latest journal entries, visit the photo gallery, and write us a note in our guestbook.

Some of you may have heard that Friday morning (7/10/09) we took Tyson in for his 6 month well-baby check up.  While there, I mentioned a firmness I had noticed in his abdomen a few days prior.  I thought it was probably due to constipation but wanted someone to take a look, just in case.  He's been a little fussy over the last week or two, but nothing alarming.  We assumed that he was teething and that he may also have an upset tummy.  We were hoping that some Tylenol and a simple change of formula would fix the problem.

Dr. Cherry was out of town so we were seen by Jennifer Lovell, a LNP who works with Dr. Cherry.  She started out with the normal questions, (how is he acting, how is his appetite, etc.)  I mentioned what I had seen a few days prior and when she examined him she said she didn't like what she was feeling. She immediately got on the phone for a consult with a doctor.  Less than ten minutes later she returned, saying Tyson needed to have some tests to find out what was going on. 

She sent us directly to the Emergency Room at the hospital where they were expecting us.  Over the next two hours they did an X-ray, Ultrasound, blood-work, and urinalysis.  The X-Ray and Ultrasound revealed a 3 1/2" X 5" mass on or near his liver (they compared it to the size of a cantaloupe).  By noon that day we knew we were being sent to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland.

After a very, VERY long drive, we arrived at Doernbecher's at 10:00 PM and were admitted to the Pediatric Oncology unit.  We spent most of that night waiting and worrying about all the possible explanations for a mass that large on a seemingly healthy 6-month old with no outer signs of pain or discomfort.

The next day, Saturday, Tyson had a CT scan of his abdomen and the Radiologist's report confirmed our fears - a tumor involving approximately 75% of his liver.

He is not symptomatic.  He has a regular temperature, a normal heart rate and normal blood pressure.  His abdomen, although firm, is not painful when you touch it.  We are thankful in that so far, Tyson has no idea he is sick.  The little guy is his normal happy self.

A biopsy was done on Monday and should confirm the diagnosis... a very rare form of liver cancer called Hepatoblastoma that is only found in children under 4 years of age.  I am told there are less than 100 cases diagnosed in the U.S. each year. Treatment options include surgery, chemotherapy, and worst case... liver transplant.

Most of Tyson's internal organs are being pushed to the left side of his abdomen by the tumor.  The CT report clarified the measurements of his tumor are approximately 3 1/2 inches deep by 3 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches long.  They think it is isolated in his liver and that no other organs are involved at this time. 

I will post updates on Tyson's condition as we learn more about awhat the future may hold for us and what treatment plan we will start with.  Please remember us in your prayers.

Steve, Lori & Tyson

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Tyson’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register