Trey Nesbit

First post: Aug 8, 2018 Latest post: Mar 4, 2019
Oh how fast things can change, Trey  graduated from Iowa State  in May and was hired by Edward Jones on July 2nd.  He was working hard at studying for his series 7 securities test when he started to not feel well (some people will do anything to get out of taking a test) :).  
On Saturday morning the 28th of July, he woke up with a very swollen face, he was all worried about this as he was  suppose to be an usher in a friend’s wedding that day.  He had noticed in the prior two weeks that he just wasn’t  feeling well, couldn’t seem to get through his workouts and was having a hard time concentrating on his studying.  Sunday morning the 29th he woke up feeling miserable again and stepped on the scale, he had gained over 20 lbs in the last few days.  This led to a trip to the ER where things got crazy.  After a few hours of tests, the ER uncovered that he had a massive amount  of fluid around his lungs as well as several swollen lymph nodes. A pulmonologist was consulted and the concern over cancer began.  He was hospitalized at Mercy Medical and more tests were ordered.  By Wednesday we had the diagnosis of (at minimum) stage 2 Bulky Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.  Thursday was busy with the installation of the  port for chemo and then a PET  scan to verify where all the cancer would show up.  We then consulted with doctors in Des Moines and they graciously began working on an appointment at Mayo Clinic for a 2nd opinion.  Friday we headed to Mayo for his afternoon appointment and were glad to be able to consult with an oncologist there.  She confirmed the diagnosis but due to the weekend ahead couldn’t do anything until the following week. Trey  was asked to some additional lab work and then they sent us home.  We stopped to grab something to eat in Rochester and just as we were leaving town the  doctor called telling us that Trey needed to be hospitalized due to his kidney functions.  We turned around and headed back to Rochester.  They took his weight when they checked him in and he had ballooned up to a 40lb weight gain, his kidneys were not liking what was going on.  Shari and I got a hotel and this started the stay in Rochester.  After a long weekend at the hospital of working with the nephrologists on his kidney functions  he was released on Monday and  we transitioned to our hotel where he will continue outpatient care at Mayo Clinic. The plan now is a kidney biopsy to determine the cause of the nephrotic syndrome and then his first chemo treatment sometime this week. We are so incredibly thankful for each of you that has called, prayed, mowed our lawn, offers of food, visits, hosting and driving kadin around  etc. It has been incredible to see people surround Trey in Des Moines as well as in Rochester! Many evenings there havebeen a small army of friends here to encourage and lift his spirits and we are so incredibly grateful! We will keep updating as treatment unfolds. We love you all!! 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Trey’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register