Welcome to our CaringBridge site. We've created it to keep friends and family updated. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most.
On the morning of Thursday, March 24th Tim woke up on the ground with severe pain in his legs. Using his upper body strength he was able to get himself back into bed. After not being able to reach his alarm clock to turn it off, his sister finally came to check on him. He simply requested to have the alarm clock turned off then mentioned he couldn't because he can't walk. After a bit of convincing and an attempt to move him an ambulance was called to bring him to the emergency room. Although he did not want to go, he made the best of the situation and asked the EMT's if they had a customer satisfaction survey because they did such a great job. After a few quick tests Tim was admitted for further testing and observation. On Friday, March 25th doctors continued blood work, X-rays, and testing to try and determine why he couldn't move his legs and the cause of the excruciating pain. After several visits from doctors, occupational therapists, and physical therapists an MRI was ordered as a starting point to try and get some answers. As the occupational and physical therapist were working on movement with Tim, the orthopedic doctor came back in and said to lay him down immediately. He pulled up his admission X-ray and said he believes both hips were broken. He explained that with Hurler-Scheie Syndrome they thought the X-ray just showed an abnormal bone formation which is why it wasn't caught earlier. A orthopedic surgeon was sent over from another hospital and confirmed that Tim broke both of his hips. With the amount of pain medication Tim is on, he is just starting to understand his diagnosis and his surgical options. As of now he is in the critical care unit until he is healthy enough for a transfer to the U of M where an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in bilateral hip surgery will meet with him. We are hoping that tomorrow he will be cleared for transfer. Tim will meet with the surgeon once he is transferred and decide which surgical route he wants to take. Right now the family is asking that people please refrain from visiting. We will let you know when visitors are welcome and we will keep everyone updated via this site. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!