Chani Childers the rock chicks journey

First post: Sep 8, 2022
On November 2013 I noticed while in the shower a lump in my right breast I luckily had an appointment the next week to see my OB/GYN. When appointment day arrived he was concerned and decided to get an ultrasound. Did the ultrasound but they couldn't see the lump so I had a mammogram done I was 34 at the time with no family history of Breast Cancer (BC). He wanted a biopsy done we met with the surgeon and scheduled it for 12/4/2013. I went in for my biopsy and on 12/9/2013 my life would change with these little words: You Have Breast Cancer. I met with an oncologist and the surgeon again to do a double mastectomy. I was totally against it at first but I decided to do it. On 12/18/2013 less than two weeks after my biopsy I had my double mastectomy. I was diagnosed with Stage II Breast Cancer with only doing 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I was cancer free.

Flash Forward to 2017: I was living in TN and working. I started noticing some shoulder pain in my right shoulder. I thought I might have pulled it at work or at the gym. Then I woke up tax free weekend and couldn't breathe much less move. I was in pain for four days. My plastic surgeon thought I was having costochrondritis (inflammation of the ribs) it subsided but it was still there. I let my oncologist know and she wanted a CT done when I had my visit with her. On August 3rd 2017 my life changed again when I got the phone call that my cancer had returned to my spine. I had to meet with Radiology and they scheduled a MRI on 8/8/2017. I did the MRI and had to turn around from Clarksville back to the ER at Vanderbilt Hospital. After being in Observation for 8 days they told me I had a compressed back fracture of the spine. Basically my tumor ate inside out my T-4 (middle of my back) causing it to press on my spinal cord. I had other lesions all in my back. But I had back surgery (called a corepectomy) on 8/14/2017 at almost 38 years old. I had titanium rods and screws placed in my back from T-2 to T-8.Plus a cage holding my T-2,T-3, & T-4 together.  I recovered well took me a while to feel normal. Went through about six weeks of radiation which sucked. Then started on my immune therapy Ibrance with Letrozole. I was having harsh side effects from the Letrozole so we switched to Exemestane. 

I was on it almost five years (which at this time I am back in Alabama seeing doctors at UAB) when I had small progression in L-2 to switch treatments.I am on Falsodex shots and Verinzio .  I go back on 10/25 for scans and will be updating as much as I can. I also have a blog that I use. That's my story! Enjoy

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Chani’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register