Teresa Wetterhahn

First post: Aug 12, 2018 Latest post: Sep 7, 2022
Were does one start when so much has changed in a short period of time.  Today I write about the challenges our family is facing. 

I will start with my Dad first.  On Tuesday, August 7th, he was rush via ambulance to North Memorial with a low heart beat.  Once he arrived they ventilated him and sedated him because his heart was not beating the way it should.  They put in a temporary pacemaker.  Wednesday, August 8 they put in the permeant pacemaker and they were happy how that procedure went.   Since that time, they have not been able to wean him off the vent because he is having a hard time breathing on his own.

Today, Saturday, August 11, they brought in a Kidney doctor and he thinks it is best to start dialysis because he is retaining to much water.  By doing dialysis they are hoping to get the extra fluid out of his system, which will help bring him out of sedation better and perhaps the weaning of the vent will go better.   He will stay in ICU. We ask for your prayers during this difficult time. 

Dad can not receive visitors other then family at this time.  

The next journey is my own.  Most of you know that on April 6th, I had the sleeve surgery.  I took this path because my diabetes was not controlled and other minor health issues.  That surgery went well and I was off of majority of meds in a very short period of time, including insulin.   About 4 weeks ago I started having stomach and back pain, nothing like I have felt before.  After a couple different doctor appointments, which really got me no where,  John decided to take me to the ER  in Maple Grove on Friday, July 27.  There I had a CT scan and discovered that I have a spot on my Pancreas.   There was also a spot on my abdomen wall, so they decided to send me to Abbot Northwestern where the best doctors are.   We left North and went to Abbot where they had a room ready for me.

The next few days were a world wind for me and the rest of my family.  They put a team of doctors together, which included GI, Oncology, Pancreatic surgeons, internal medicine.  On Sunday, July 29, I had a more in-depth CT scan .  Monday, July 30, they did a biopsy of my Pancreas.   On Friday, August 3rd, Dr Seng (oncologist), confirmed I had Pancreatic Cancer.   He request that I do a Pet Scan to see if it has spread. because the CT scan has shown spots on both my lungs.

Monday, August 6, we saw the Pancreatic surgeon and at this time I am not eligible for surgery because we don't know if it has spread and regardless he would want me to do a round of Chemo first.   I also had my Pet Scan on this day.

Tuesday, August 7, we saw Dr Seng again and unfortunately the Pet scan did not help in determining if what is on my lungs is cancer or big enough to take a CT guided biopsy of my lungs.  They will not come up with a course of action until they know what exactly they are dealing with.  Next week is another big week, I meet with the lung surgeon on Tuesday and hopefully will have a biopsy done before the end of the week.   They have also shared all my files with the Mayo Clinic and should be going there with in the next couple of weeks.  My doctors will partner with the Mayo Clinic to determine the proper treatment plan.

Please keep us in your prayers and I will update this site with both my dad and I information.   This is beyond difficult for all of our family and friends to handle in such a short period of time.

With faith, love, family and friends we will make it through.    It takes a village and we have one hell of a village. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Teresa’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register