Katie Herring teamkatie

First post: Oct 10, 2008 Latest post: Nov 17, 2021
Here it is ~ this crazy chapter in my life. Remember this is only one chapter, not the last one. I plan on living life day to day, then year to year. I feel I am a survivor from day one.

A month after my mom passed away from lymphoma, I found a lump on my left breast while reading in bed. It was one of those profound moments when I knew my life was to about to change.

Something I want every woman to know ~ I did have an inverted nipple a few months ago and thought nothing of it. My mom was dying and because I gained a little weight, it didn't occur to me to have it checked. I now know this is a red flag!

I had a mammogram in March and it was negative. So my doctor ordered an ultra sound. The radiologist found something "puzzling" and wanted to do another mammogram anyway. Well, guess what? The mammogram AGAIN showed nothing!

I have been diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma. Only 10% of the women are diagnosed with lobular (why can't I be the other 90%)? I had a bilateral mastectomy on the 19th (my son's 24th birthday). The tumor ended up being 9 centimeters, and he removed 19 lympnodes which 17 were cancerous. I am Stage III B.

I start dose dense chemo for 16 weeks on October 20 and I will have treatments every other week. After chemo, my body will get to rest (thank goodness!) for a month and then I will have surgery again. I am building tissue with the help of "Dr. Build A Boob" so they will have tissue to work with during surgery. Who knows what will happen with the boob reconstruction. We will wait and see.

I have been blessed to have my family and friends support me through this journey. I have been lifted up in prayer and cannot begin to thank everyone. Please keep me in your prayers. I am a pink survivor!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Katie’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register