Tami Yates

First post: Dec 3, 2018 Latest post: Apr 24, 2019
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

Five years ago, following my breast reduction, I was diagnosed with lobular carcinoma in situ in both of my breasts.  Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) is an area (or areas) of abnormal cell growth that increases a person's risk of developing invasive breast cancer later on in life. Because of this diagnosis, I have undergone breast scans every six months for the past five years. My most recent scan in November was to be my last 6th month scan.  If this last scan came out to be normal, I would return to yearly exams.

After an MRI, bilateral ultrasound, 3 trips to the mammogram machine, and a bi-lateral stereotactic biopsy, it was confirmed.  I received the call on November 16th that verified I had invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast.  I vividly remember two thoughts that popped into my head almost immediately. 1) This was my last 6-month scan and if the cancer wouldn’t have been found, the cancer would have had a year to grow and spread before my next routine exam.  2) I was receiving this call on Amy’s angel birthday where later that night I would be celebrating her life with family and friends.  Do I believe in a higher power or that everything happens for a reason?  Absolutely I do!  I also believe that Amy helped the stars align for the early detection of my breast cancer ❤️

As the news spread to my colleagues, friends and family the blow was softened a little as immense support, positive thoughts and prayers were sent my way.  It was a difficult five days of waiting, but on Wednesday, November 21st Chris and I were finally able to meet with the breast surgeon whom I had been seeing over my five year monitoring period.  It was determined at that appt. that I needed to undergo a bilateral mastectomy and my surgery was scheduled for Jan. 3, 2019.

Chris and I met with the medical oncologist and radiation oncologist on Wednesday, November 28th.  Unfortunately at this time, they cannot tell me whether or not I will need chemo or radiation following my surgery.  Because my breasts are so dense and ever changing, they have unable to pick up everything through the scans alone.  It isn’t until they get in there and are able to see how big the cancer is, how much there is, whether or not it’s in my lymph nodes, etc. that they are able to know what additional treatments, if any, will be needed.  So, at this time it’s just a waiting game until January.  All prayers and positive thoughts are appreciated.

Throughout this journey I will try to keep it updated in a timely manner.  Chris and my mom will also be helping me.   I would love to be able to text and talk to everyone individually but it’s just not possible. Please know that I am extremely thankful for the amount of support I have received and I am blessed to have each and everyone of you in my life!