Susan Henry

First post: Nov 9, 2016 Latest post: Dec 3, 2016
Susan has been having intense back pain for the last 3 months.  Everyone thought it was muscle spasms and she went in for PT and muscle activation therapy, but nothing was working.  On October 22nd, she called David and said she couldn't move.  He went to her apartment to find her on the ground in immense pain.  He had to literally pick her off the floor and take her to his car.  They drove to the ER and after 3 hours, the doctors were able to control her pain enough to get an X-ray and MRI.  Those revealed a large tumor that had shattered one of her vertebra and possible a few other small tumors along her spine.  Surgery was scheduled for the following day to fix her back and take some of the tumor out.The next day surgery went very well.  They fused 6 of her vertebra together with metal rods, took out the pieces of her broken vertebra, and got a sample of the tumor for biopsy.  The next few days in recovery were hard, but Susan was progressing well.  She had to wear a back brace every time she was out of bed and there was to be no bending, lifting, or twisting.  On Wednesday, 3 days post surgery, the nurses said she should be ready for discharge, and we needed to find a rehab center for Susan to go to.  We chose one, and she was transferred there Thursday night.  It was not a great experience getting to this facility right when the staff was turning over and the computer system was crashing, but everyone survived!  The next morning Susan had her oncology appointment, as we still didn't know the results of the biopsy.  She had to be transferred by ambulance.  There, her doctor told us it was her breast cancer returning from 15 years ago and it was stage 4.  We had thought it would be the breast cancer, but stage 4 surprised us all.  Susan's oncologist made us feel very comfortable and hopeful with the treatment plan he has for her.Over the next week and a half, Susan made huge strides in the rehab facility, although she was sick of the food and repeating herself each time someone new came in.  She had lots of visitors each day, including her new grandson, Thatcher :).  By Monday, November 7th, she was ready to be out of there and back in her home.  The staff also thought she was ready and started talking about a discharge plan.  Unfortunately, that evening, Susan became sick.  The next day she was worse and couldn't get out of bed on her own.  On Wednesday, a doctor came in and thought that her incision was infected, so called her surgeon and got an appointment to go back to the hospital and see him.  An hour later she was back in the ER where she was admitted and taken to ICU to treat the infection.  

Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Susan’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register