Stephen Boyajian

First post: Sep 1, 2018 Latest post: Sep 9, 2018
My name is Michael and I'm the son of Stephen and Lisa Boyajian.  Though I may not know all of you reading this, I thank you for taking the time to read of my Dad's journey this past year. 

On February 1st, Dad was diagnosed with a rare form of bladder cancer that had metastasized to his skeletal system.  We knew something was wrong and had been going through several rounds of blood tests and diagnostics since December 15th.  Dad was working with both Dr. Bradley Borsari (who has been God-send for our family) and Dr. Michael Gazzaniga (his urologist) in determining his next actions.  Before we knew it, we were on our way to USC Keck Medical for consult with the "Mighty" Dr. David Quinn.  Dr. Quinn spent over an hour with us, never making us feel rushed.  He listened to my Dad's wishes and hopes, as well as what he didn't want. 

Dad shared he wanted quality of life over quantity of life.  It was quickly decided that chemotherapy would not be the appropriate treatment; however, we could have some hope in immunotherapy to give us more time with Dad. 

It feels like ever since Dad's diagnosis there have been nothing but appointments and treatments.  All was successful in the beginning. 

Dad continued to work, shortening his days at the office after a couple of months, but he still kept up his 24/7 schedule of dispatching his drivers through J&S associates.  Dad didn't want cancer to get in his way.  He spent time with his immediate family sharing love and memories.

Mom and Dad made plans to go to the Blue Lantern Hotel in Dana Point, California to celebrate their 37th wedding anniversary.  However, Dad had his first major setback which led to an 11 day stay at the hospital instead of the Blue Lantern Hotel.

After a miraculous comeback at the hospital, my parents were able to get an evening at the Blue Lantern in their best room over looking the water.  This led to a few weeks of Dad feeling pretty good.  He continued spending time with his family, running his company from home, and we got ready to celebrate a very special Father's Day together. 

Shortly after a wonderful 4th of July with friends and family, Dad began a rapid roller coaster that saw his health condition change from day to day.  I was really happy though that Dad rallied in early August as we celebrated our birthdays together.  As always we were surround by the love and support of our immediate family.

Through the tough days my Dad kept his wit and sense of humor.  I've always said my Dad knows how to make every person he meets feel special.  He has continued to do this with every person he has met during treatment. 

On Wednesday August 22nd, we had our final appointment with the Mighty Dr. Quinn.  He let us all know that Dad's time for treatment had come to an end.  To be honest, this was not a surprise to any of us.  Dad has begun hospice and now spends his days with his family, sharing memories and words of love.  He has his chair in the backyard where he sits and enjoys the blue birds and fresh air. 

As our family cannot possibly respond to all of the outpouring of love and support, we have setup this website as our form of communication to all of his family and friends.  Dad is unable to have visitors or receive phone calls due to his decline.  So, please send all well wishes and intentions through this site.

Please continue praying for Dad and our family.

Thank you with love,

The Boyajian Family

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Stephen’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register