Shirley Smith

First post: Sep 3, 2018 Latest post: Feb 6, 2019
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

What happened ❤️ She was out with girlfriends, in a parking lot she had to step back suddenly to avoid getting hit by a ramp that was being lowered to the ground, she fell straight back and her beautiful, precious head took the impact 😢 ❤️ A phenomenal Neurosurgeon Team scurried around, brain surgery began as she had a large blood clot on the left side of her brain which shifted drastically. Success in the operating room. Now we wait. Mom is unconscious. Anyone that has been blessed to have this incredible woman cross their path here on earth, for a moment or for a lifetime knows that she is an angel, a beautiful angel that brings light to every room. All who know her, know that she is an independent, strong woman that has the will to fight through anything. Our Heavenly Father is with her, maybe he wants to see if she is strong enough to endure this challenge, maybe he needs her in heaven, I know she is not ready, she is not finished here, a lot of unfinished business here on earth. We talked about it often. Our family, her friends need her ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I pray to you dear Lord, carry her through this challenge, set her down ever so gently & allow her to spread a little more of her heart around down here on earth. My promise, my families promise to you, is we will take care of her until she is in your arms again and she is ready to return home. Please pray for her to wake up, for her to have the choice to fight again❤️ ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️She has places to be, things to do ❤️❤️❤️. We love you Mama & we are all ready to take this journey to recovery. We love you dear Lord. In Jesus name Amen.

September 2nd 8am:
Shirley fell at 8pm on Saturday, September 1st. She was at Regions Hospital within 10 minutes of the fall. She talked with Sandy on the phone right after she fell. She told Sandy that she knew she broke her arm and that she hit her head but said that her head was fine. She went by ambulance to regions and was getting a CT scan by 8:45 PM. They took her right to surgery and was in surgery by 9pm. Surgery was completed by 1am and there was no complications. The Neurosurgeon said there was no telling the extent of damage. He did say that the blood had gathered enough pressure to shift the brain over and cause her left pupil to enlarge. She has two drains coming out of her skull that drain any bleeding. The drains will stay in for few days. Surgeon says there is no brain swelling. Surgeon compared the 4am CT scan to the prior 9pm CT scan and was very impressed with how the surgery corrected the brain position and drained all the blood. She is still unconscious and on a ventilator at this time.