Shelly Jamieson

First post: Oct 17, 2018 Latest post: Mar 18, 2023

First of all I am so blessed to have Burt and such an awesome family and so many wonderful friends!!! My message to all of you... If something doesn't feel right.... get it checked ASAP!! I should have started this journey a month ago. I'm so glad I didn't wait till Oct. 18th as my OB wanted me too. 
At the beginning of September, both breast filled up as they usually do before my period (yes I'm 56 and still having regular periods) After my period started, only one breast decreased in size . I called my OB and she  said it was probably hormonal and my biannual MRI was scheduled for Oct 18th so we should just wait till Oct. 18th.  Two more weeks went by and  my right breast was still enlarged. I called my OB again and she said the same thing.  So I wasn't worried if my doctor wasn't worried.  After all, I had a clean mammogram in April and blood work done in May and all was GOOD!!!

 After another week, I decided to call my primary care doctor. If they didn't think it was anything BAD....maybe it was an infection and the MRI wouldn't pick that up.  She saw me within two hours of my call to the office.  At the visit,  she looked at my breast & did not like what she saw.  She ordered a mammogram & ultra sound!! She also put me on an antibiotic just incase it was an infection. I had the mammogram & ultra sound on Wednesday.  After the ultra sound,  they immediately did a biopsy.  It was a very long weekend waiting for the results, but I was distracted by being up North with friends and family.  I had a follow up appointment with my doctor to see if the antibiotics  were working.  Burt and I also had a bad feeling about the outcome, so he came with me. When she came in the office she said it wasn't the outcome we wanted. It is inflammatory Breast cancer. 

When we got home we started researching our options. We found out I was double negative with HER2 positive. Dan & Stephanie got us into Stephanie's doctor the next day. Dr, Kasunic layed out a plan. Five months of chemo  Adriamycin/Cytoxan followed by weekly Taxol along with Herceptin/Perjeta, then a mastectomy and radiation. Herceptin/perjeta will continue for a year. 

Monday we went to UM for a second opinion. They agreed with everything Dr. Kasunic recommended. They wanted to see the Pet scan or CT and bone scans to see if the cancer was any place else. If it is,  they would have a different plan.  

At first insurance denied the pet scan......After many calls to the insurance ( Thank you Frank for all your help!! ) They approved the CT & bone scans yesterday.  My scans are scheduled for Thursday morning thank you Nancy for helping get the scans scheduled!! Today I am getting my port ( what they will use to do the chemo) and 1st chemo on Friday if my scans are clear. If they are NOT... we will need a new plan
I am anxious to get going with the treatment and get this fight started!! 

I have had so many great conversations with so many friends that are survivors!! 
Jackie and I have had many great talks about all the positives!!!! 
- No more shaving
- It will only take minutes to get ready because my hair will always look good. ( wig is already 
- perky new boobs :)
- Liposuction some of my fat for my new boobs!!! 

 I've got the best husband and family and by far the BEST friends to help me thru this journey!! I Love you all and will try and keep you updated on my progress. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Shelly’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register