Sean Aebersold

First post: Jul 2, 2018 Latest post: Jun 14, 2023
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

Thursday, June 28,  2018, the day that changed our life in an instant.  Sean met his uncle Gary for breakfast and I went to work and Sarah was at home.  Things were normal.  Around 11 am Sean had made his way to 6th and Atchison at the KCPL warehouse for fuel.  While getting fuel one of his bosses Mike Hurst was talking to Sean when he realized he wasn’t making any sense.  He asked him if he was ok and admitidly he told Mike no that he just couldn’t put his thoughts together or finish his sentences.  Mike took him inside and called me to get my thoughts on it.  I jumped in the car to go get him to take him to urgent care or the ER.  By the time I reached him an ambulance had been called and they were getting ready to load him up and whisk him off.  They were fearful that perhaps he was having a stroke.  Mike took me to the hospital.  They did a quick CT scan and within 30 minutes we got the results.  He had a brain mass.  The swelling was extremely bad and we needed to get some meds in him to take the swelling down.  The administered some medicines and began a series of tests on him.  At one point he began to go down hill quickly and wasn’t able to speak and a sudden seizure came on.  It was very frightening!  The ER room filled with staff so quickly our heads were spinning!  They got him under control and within a couple of hours we were taken to ICU.  
Later that evening the neurosurgeon called and said that if we wanted he could perform brain surgery to remove the tumor at 10 am on Friday.  We made the decision to stay at Mosaic and allow Dr Bedynek to do it.  We were told it would take several hours.  By this time he was getting more normal and chatting with visitors. Friday morning came and we had wonderful prayer time and watched the doctor shave his head.  

They took him to Pre Op around 0900 and around 1015ish they wheeled him away for the surgery of his life.  We knew going in the risks of long term paralysis or that the tumor could be malignant.  We prayed! Many people were covering him.   I don’t even remember what time it was but the doctor came out and shared the news that the tumor was in fact malignant.  We were devastated by this but we serve a great God and He is in control!  

This evening we shared the news with Sean and we are working through our next steps.  We don’t have all the answers yet and still waiting on pathology.  We hope to move out ICU tomorrow and maybe go home first of the week!!

Right now we don’t have a clear cut plan nor do we have any idea what tomorrow will even bring.  We have decided this is going to be a beautiful journey but we also know it will be rough.  But we find our strength in Christ and Christ alone.  We refuse to allow anything other than that.  He will sustain us and walk us through each hour and day.  As we know more details we will post here.  Sean is tired and needs rest.  Our life’s instantly changed and we are figuring out our new normal.  

Please pray for peace and comfort!!  Pray for strength and direction.  Pray for beautiful love to be shown through the awesome God we serve.  

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Sean’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register