Sasha Michelle Koehn

First post: Sep 12, 2016 Latest post: Mar 15, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

   Hello to all of you ...Our Dear Praying Family and friends...

   I know many of you are wondering how things are and I'd like to give
you a report. Hopefully I can do so without it coming out seeming
like a complete jumble of thoughts. As many of you probably know life
doesn't always go as we think…

    Our dear little baby Sasha Michelle arrived suddenly on Tuesday
afternoon, September 6, at 31 weeks. I told Greg I feel so bad for
Devonn and the Mission board. It seems the Peru Mission has faced a
lot of health difficulties, now the recent sudden passing mother of
our fellow missionaries, and little Sasha. It doesn't seem our minds
would think this is the best way, but for some reason God knows
better than all of us. And we have to trust this all to him. That his
light can shine through and we can follow him. For some reason from
almost the start I had a feeling I can't quite explain but I just
always felt like Sasha would be our little Miracle I prayed for her
often that she could be okay. The girls wanted her so much and had
prayed for her. We all had, and was very much looking forward to her
arrival to our little family setting here in Peru. The Pregnancy was
going as a normal pregnancy would. At home I had 3 normal pregnancies
without complication. The doctor was very positive, now toward the
last she was doing what I felt like some extra sonograms compared to
what I was used to at home. But we were used to our small hometown
verses living in the City. Our baby was appearing small and she said
they wanted to keep an eye on it. And make sure she was just little
and growing fine. They did a sonogram and said she measured small.
So they wanted to do another one to check and make sure the blood
flow and oxygen were all okay. What technology over here. It wanted
to bother me a bit, but kept saying we thought we would just have a
small little girl. Sammie wasn’t so big, nor Greg’s sisters. That
it would be fine and they were being plenty cautious here in Peru.
So, I had that sonogram on Tues. the 29th,the next Thursday I was schedule
 for the doctor and everything seemed
okay yet. My blood pressure was fine. I was scheduled for a sonogram
again on Tues at 6 pm in the evening. Sunday I didn’t feel so well.
It seemed to me I was having Braxton- hicks sooner and stronger for
lacking 2months. Then I remembered with the others. But didn’t want
to be over concerned. Thinking maybe it was just different with #4.
On Monday something didn’t seem right to me but felt like I didn’t
want to be over worried. I was having what felt like some menstrual
cramps but when I laid down I got better. Monday night I was awake
not feeling so well. I wondered in the morning if I should go in but
I thought it kind a crazy. I was feeling better again, but a little
worried if the baby was moving? She had last night. I didn’t want
to over react. I had 2 months to go. I went on the tract route with
Greg feeling fine except at the end. I was feeling bad again we got
home in time for lunch with the girls. I went and laid down and just
prayed God would take care of Sasha and keep her safe. I didn’t
know why I felt that way, but something didn’t seem right. I texted
my sis and asked her about it? She had replied she thought she might
be. In the mean time Greg called the doctor she said to go to the ER
and she’d come see us there, although I felt better again after
laying down. I don’t know why but we picked up in a hurry. Greg
rushed Sammy to the classroom with Sara and we hopped in the van. Not
realizing what was about to happen. We went to the ER. And they soon
called us back. I never in my mind was thinking I would be having the
baby. My doctor says none of us had any idea. I just didn’t have
enough symptoms showing up for what normally happens. It’s very
unusual. In the ER they started doing some testing and put monitors
on. I had high blood pressure. And I was having contractions but
that was not even the concern. The baby would not move! But her heart
showed strong yet. They gave me a shot for her lungs and begin
preparing for the… just in case. I could tell they were getting
scared and knew something was wrong. They soon were taking me for the
sonogram. As we wheeled out I prayed. As three doctors hovered over
the sonogram it didn’t take them long. Things aren’t right,
there’s bleeding. And down the hall they went prepping me as we
went. They got me to the surgery room, no time for the regular
epidural. I don’t know how many minutes it was but not long and
they were taking the baby out. I never heard the baby cry and never
saw her. As Greg stood by and watched as they tried to bring our
little angel to life. And they took her away. The doctor that worked
Sasha says all I can say is there was a higher power looking over
you. She shouldn’t be here. And my doctor says I don’t know why I
just thought I should have you come to the ER and normally no more
than my symptoms were she wouldn’t have. And it was all only in
time. Only God knows the future. At this point she is stable with
ventilator and on antibiotic. Bloodwork would should show she was
critical and being deprived of oxygen. It’s all in God’s hands.
Just continue praying. She is oh so so tiny. Weighing 3lb. 7oz. They
haven’t measured her because she was to delicate. It’s a long
slow journey my doctor said today she’s a fighter. We have to hope
and believe. They took me to recovery and Greg couldn’t be there.
Then I went to ICU. And it was very strict in there. And they didn’t
want to let Greg be with me right away. It was very difficult and
hard as Greg had just stood and watched it all and it happened so
fast. I just prayed God would help me know and understand the Spanish
I needed. I believe he answered that prayer and the prayers of all of
you praying. As I was able to handle hours alone, without Greg in
another culture, another language, in the hospital. At this point
they would say I had severe preeclampsia. I was in ICU due to
unregulated blood pressure levels and blood levels were not right
watching for HELP syndrome. With medication my levels are finally
level and my blood looked good today. So, I am in a regular room and
got to see Sasha for the first time. Greg can be here with me now and
also the girls can come be with me. It’s all a mystery why this
happened the doctors say it’s very unusual makes no sense. My
placenta was already 40% detached. If you could do things over I
would have tried to come to the doctor sooner. But no more than my
symptoms maybe it wouldn’t have been caught anyways. We finally
have to leave it with the all- knowing Father. Its only because of
him that we are both here. We just want to thank you for praying and
ask for you to continue praying. We couldn’t have done it no other
way. Greg’s folks got here last night. So, thankful for family once
again when we need them most in a far away land. We will try to let
you know in the near future how things progress.


love to each of you,


Shaylie, Samantha & Sasha

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Sasha Michelle’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register