Ryan Windhorst

First post: Dec 22, 2016 Latest post: May 10, 2017
Ryan has been diagnosed with Group Strep A, which attacks your blood stream and muscles and can make your body go septic if not treated. 

On Thursday night, December 15, Ryan began to complain of a pain/charlie horse in his left calf and right arm. At the time, we thought it may have been from shoveling earlier in the day. 

On Friday, December 16, Ryan didn't feel well and had diarrhea and vomiting and laid in bed most of the day - we both assumed it was either the flu or food poisening. Around 1:30, when I went to check on him, he seemed to be breathing heavy and his tongue almost seemed swollen to me. I told him I thought he needed to get to a Doctor to be checked out. I think Ryan was just feeling so weak and that just laying in bed was the only thing he could do. After I helped him get dressed, down the stairs and into the car and back in to get Riley, it was about 4:30 and we were headed to Quick Care. After getting a few blocks from our house, I decided I probably should just go to the Emergency Room. I then called my Dad to meet me there to get our car and go get Carson and Allie from daycare.  Upon entering the Emergency Room and looking him over, they immediately rushed him back to the room and numerous Doctors and Nurses began with IV's, tests and monitors. At this point, they began administering 4 of the strongest antibiotics that they have to potentially fight off any infection. While much of Friday night is a blur, between watching the staff care for my very sick husband and trying to care for my 2 week old baby boy, it was at this point that realized how serious this was. His kidneys had failed and he was in multi organ shutdown as his body was trying to fight off some infection. They still didn't know where it was or what had caused the infection. At one point they thought it might be meningitis, but were unsure. There were talks about transferring him to Loveland, Denver or Cheyenne because the ICU in Scottsbluff didn't have any beds open, but due to the winter storm all of the transpiration was grounded until the morning. In the mean time, a room had opened up in the ICU here. After the ICU Doctor reviewed Ryan's case, he recommended that Ryan be intubated and placed on a ventilator to give his body some rest and to let the machine do the breathing. After discussion and some things I never though I would need to tell my husband this soon, we agreed if the Doctors felt that was best for Ryan that we would proceed. Before being intubated, we were able to bring Carson and Allie up to see Dad. After a short version of Jingle Bells and some get wells and I love you's, then put in the breathing tube and moved him to ICU around 3:30 am.  

On Saturday, December 17, The Doctor indicated that all of Ryan's vitals are either stable or improved from when he was admitted on Friday night and that the culture came back positive for Group Strep A. The Doctor seemed relieved that they now know what it is and can begin fighting the infection and bringing Ryan back to full recovery. He also mentioned that the timing of when I got him to the hospital and when the Emergency Room Doctor began the antibiotics may have saved his life. Praise the Lord! As the day progressed, he spiked a fever which showed the his body was still trying to fight the infection. On Saturday evening, Ryan began writing us notes on a clipboard, which was really good to see. 

On Sunday, December 18, after taking the kids to mass and breakfast, Dad and I took them to the hospital to visit Ryan. This kids continue to amaze me with how they comprehend that their Dad is sick, but that he is in the hospital and the Doctors and Nurses and trying to get him feeling better. The kidney Doctor was in and indicated that his kidneys were responding and that he didn't feel like we would need to do dialysis at all. He also asked for his glasses and for me to turn on football, so I figure he must've been feeling better. His leg and arm sores are starting to blister, which is expected. They hope to leave them to pop on their own. They are almost like huge burns and will need wound care. He still is on the ventilator but they are beginning to wean him off that in hopes it will be removed tomorrow. When the Dr told him he was doing a good job and had a lot to fight for to get better he held up 3 fingers...... his 3 kids at home😊 Amen....brought tears to my eyes!

On Monday, December 19, his Kidneys continue to respond. They began weaning him off the ventilator and his breathing tube was removed at 11:15. Throughout the day his voice continued to get stronger. The Speech therapist came in today and he passed the swallow test and has been cleared to drink water and order food. The physical therapist also came in and did some basic leg and arm movements with them. The kids were up tonight and I think it was really good for them to hear Ryan tell them that he loves them!

On Tuesday, December 20, his kidneys continue to improve. Tuesday was a rough day for Ryan, lots of sleeping and resting in between nurses and Doctor visits. He has been struggling with the hiccups which seem to give him pain and the annoyance of them keeps him from being able to fully rest. Finally got a medicine to help with the hiccups which appeared to help, but later realize they still come and go. He also had his wounds on his arm and leg wrapped today to help prevent tearing of the blisters when he moves and also to protect from infection.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Ryan’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register