Ron Grant Ron Grant

First post: Oct 13, 2016 Latest post: Dec 18, 2016
This is where you can read what happened, a perfect storm for bacteria, I just can't verbally explain what happened anymore.....I know you'll understand. I'm spent, in agony and shocked. (click on the box to read more)--Benida


After more than a week of thinking he had an achey type flu, Ron saw a doctor on Monday who found nothing abnormal in regular urine & blood tests.Ron went to the market on his way home...watched news, worked on music for Carl's doc. film on fencing...By Tues. evening he ate dinner, went upstairs to bed, and felt more chills and fever. By the time I got upstairs to check on him, he was unable to get warm so he took a hot shower, got back in bed then began shivering and sweating again. By around 9:30, I was about to take him to the ER, but he was too week to even sit up. I tried calling friends Stephanie and Barry to help me get him down to my car, but thankfully, they didn't answer their phones, so I called 911. Paramedics got here, tried to slow his heart rate, then took a semi coherent Ron to the ER with a still racing heart. By 11, when they let me go back to see him, they were hydrating him, his rate was down but still too high and Dr. Betty couldn't get his heart regulated. By around 1am he started saying he felt pain in his abdomen so they did an ultrasound. We made the usual joke about his not being pregnant, then they found what they thought looked like an abscess in his liver, so were going to take him down the hall for an MRI. By now it was about 4 Wed. morning. I had called Ron's brother, Richard at around 2:30 to have someone to talk to while I waited an interminable amount of time alone and scared in the waiting room again.

Finally, they let me go back in to be with him. My friend Susan called to see what my numerous texts were about, and she immediately walked the few blocks to meet me. Ron was going to be at least an hour having the scan so we walked to Izzy's deli, had breakfast, researched liver abscess. Walked back to hosp., and found they'd admitted him, but were doing another MRI. The next hour or so is a blurr but eventually we were all back in his rm. in the ICU with a scary sepsis diagnosis and Ron in critical, unstable condition by Wednesday early afternoon.

Ron who had never been really sick in his 71 years, was now fighting for his life...He ended up spending his 72nd birthday in an induced coma in the ICU with beautiful nurses around him!

Healing Prayers, positive light and thoughts are most welcome...please visit this site for updates.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Ron’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register